- All international students in F-1 or J-1 non-immigrant status must either be enrolled full-time or receive permission from the International Center for a reduced course load or a full-time exception.
- The deadline for meeting the full-time registration requirement is the end of the UM-Flint Drop/Add period.
- If you are not registered full time by the deadline, your SEVIS record will be terminated and you will lose your F-1/J-1 status. There is no grace period to remain in the U.S. following status termination.
- In general, the minimum full-time enrollment for international students is as follows:
- Undergraduate Students: 12 credit hours
- Graduate Students: 6 credit hours
Exceptions to Full-Time Enrollment Requirements
In some cases, international students may receive permission from the UM-Flint International Center to drop below full-time enrollment.
- Reduced course load
- Full time equivalency
- Concurrent enrollment
Please visit the Forms page for the appropriate applications for enrollment exceptions.