Hosting a J-1 Exchange Visitor
The purpose of the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program is to promote international educational and cultural exchange to develop mutual understanding between the people of the U.S. and other countries.
For UM-Flint Faculty Inviting Foreign Nationals
If you are interested in inviting a foreign national to the United States to undertake research/teaching in your department, please read the following links to become familiar with the J-1 Exchange Visitor visa status, your role in bringing this person to the U.S., and the process to follow.
- Overview of J-1 Exchange Visitor Status. Basic information about immigration rules, two year home residency requirement, dependents, health insurance, travel, employment, and other topics.
- Departmental Responsibilities for Hosting J-1 Exchange Visitors [PDF]
- Process to Follow to Invite a J-1
- General Information About the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program and Instructions for Departments Requesting Form DS-2019 [PDF]
- Mandatory Check-in Sessions
DS-2019 Request Process - Forms and Step-by-Step Instructions
- J-1 Exchange Visitor Information Form [PDF]. Please have your J-1 exchange visitor fill out and sign this form.
- DS-2019 Request Form for New and Transfer J-1 Exchange Visitors [PDF]. If your department is requesting a new or transfer J-1 program please fill out this form and submit to the International Center.
- DS-2019 Department Request Form: Extension and Amendment [PDF]. This form is used for J-1 exchange visitors who are already here at U-M and need updates and changes to be made to their DS-2019 form.
- J-1 Exchange Visitor Departure Form [PDF]. Regulations require this form if your Exchange Visitor leaves U-M more than 30 days before the ending date on the DS-2019.
- Incidental Employment for Research Scholars and Professors. Follow this process when Exchange Visitors participate in occasional lectures and short-term consultations.
DS-2019 Training Materials
- Introduction to the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program
- Sample Immigration Documents
- List of Position Codes [PDF]