Business and Economics
The Business & Economics Division supports the curriculum of UM-Flints Economics Department, which offers a Bachelor of Arts degree in economics, and the School of Management, which offers both a Bachelor of Business Administration and a Master of Business Administration degree.
Monographs. The division as a whole holds 18,835 monographs, which is equivalent to a 3a, and is 67% of the number from the modified ACRL standard (28,063). Over 20% were published in the last decade. Economics considered alone has 10,985 books, which is much stronger than modified ACRL standard of 4,009. However, business considered alone has only 7,850 books, whereas the modified ACRL standard calls for 24,054.
Acquisitions. The 1997/1998 monographs allocation for the Economics Department is $4,107. Taking a proportional share of librarians budgets, plus the reference allocation, yields a weighted total of $4,698. This is sufficient to buy approximately 107 books at a discounted average price of $43.94 apiece. This amounts to about 4% of the total domestic publishing output for business and management, for an AC rating of 2a. Acquiring 10% of the publishing output per year would require a monographs allocation of $11,863.
The 1997/98 budget for the School of Management is $5,297, or a weighted total of $6,420. At the average cost of $39.00 per volume in management, the budget will purchase 165 titles, or 5% of the total (2b). Acquiring 10% of the publishing output per year would require a monographs allocation of $12,909; a 15% acquisitions rate would require $19,344.
Periodicals. Through MIRLYN, the Library subscribes to Wilson Indexes, which includes the Wilson Business Index and Wilson Social Science Index. The Thompson Library subscribes to 128 of 311 Wilson-indexed journals (41%=2b). Full-text business journals are also available through several electronic databases, including ABI/Inform, Business & Industry, and several Lexis-Nexis databases. Web-accessed journals raise the percentage held to 83% (3b). Moreover, access to these two full-text business databases is in itself a substantial asset to the Librarys holdings. Other relevant indexes without full-text that are available through FirstSearch include BusinessOrgs, Disclosure, ProCDBiz, Worldscope, and EconLit.
Considering the disciplines separately, the Library subscribes to 65 of 141 economics journals (46%=2b), with web access to 51 more (82% total=3b). In business, it subscribes to 63 of 170 titles (37%=2b), with web access to 80 more (84% total=3b).
Sources consulted: HBCC, SISS, NPDE
Prepared by Terry Swier and Paul G. Streby in consultation with Sally Harris, Adjunct Lecturer, School of Management.
Ratings for Business & Economics
CL=Current collection level; AC=Acquisitions commitment; GL=Goal level
|LC class||Line no.||Category||CL||AC||GL||Comments|
|HA||ECO 000.5||Statistics||3b||-||3b||182 titles; govt. docs substantially fill out this category|
|HB||ECO 026||Economic Theory||3b||-||3b||1663 monographs; periodicals=3a/3b|
|HC||ECO 031||Economic History & Conditions, Nat'l. Production||3a||-||3b||2533 monographs; periodicals=2b/3b|
|HD 1 - 2320||ECO 037||Economics - Production (Industrial Management)||3a||-||3c||2777 monographs; periodicals=2b/3a; supports MBA classes|
|HD 2321 - 4800||ECO 040||Economics - Industry (General)||3a||-||3c||694 monographs; supports MBA classes|
|HD 4801 - 8999||ECO 044||Labor (General)||3b||-||3b||2414 monographs; periodicals=2b/3b|
|HD 9000 - 9999||ECO 054||Special Industries & Trades (General)||3a||-||3b||958 monographs; periodicals=2a/3a|
|HE||ECO 060||Transportation & Communication (General)||3a||-||3b||504 monographs; periodicals=2a/3a|
|HF 1 - 5000||ECO 067||Commerce (General)||3a||-||3c||663 monographs; periodicals=2b/3a|
|HF 5001 - 6351||ECO 069||Business, Business Administration||3b||-||3c||3190 monographs|
|Z 40 - 99||ECO 071.2||Writing||3a||-||3b||75 monographs|
|HG||ECO 072||Finance (General)||3b||-||3c||1922 monographs; periodicals=2b/3b|
|HJ||ECO 080||Public Finance (General)||3a||-||3c||538 monographs|
|HX||ECO 085||Socialism, Communism, Anarchism||2b||-||3b||722 monographs|
|DIVISION AS A WHOLE||3a||2a/2b||3b/3c||-|
0 -- Out of scope
1 -- Minimal level
1a ---- Minimal level, uneven coverage
1b ---- Minimal level, even coverage
2 -- Basic information level
2a ---- Basic information level, Introductory
2b ---- Basic information level, Advanced (Appropriate for community college students)
3 -- Study or instructional support level
3a ---- Basic study or instructional support level (Adequate to support lower division undergraduate courses)
3b ---- Intermediate study or instructional support level (Adequate to support upper division undergraduate courses; not adequate for master's degree programs)
3c ---- Advanced study or instructional support level (Adequate to support master's degree programs)
4 -- Research level (Adequate to support doctoral research)
5 -- Comprehensive level