Company Case Studies
The Thompson Library subscribes to several databases with a business focus. Sometimes a database is included in a package, like ABI/INFORM in ProQuest; sometimes it stands alone, like MergentOnline.
- ABI/INFORM (1971- ). Includes full-text articles. (ProQuest)
- Accounting (LexisNexis)
- Business and Management Practices (1995- ) (FirstSearch)
- Business News (LexisNexis)
- Hoovers Company Records (ProQuest)
- WilsonSelectPlus (1994- ) (FirstSearch)
- Mergent Online. Replaces and expands upon the old Moodys manuals (Industrial, Transportation, etc.). Includes historical information.
- Industry & Market News (LexisNexis)
- Wilson Business Abstracts (FirstSearch)
Many annual reports are available online for downloading or ordering. On the page "Business & Management: Online Resources," go to "Annual Reports" (under "Selected Websites") and select one of the services.
Items with a strong focus on companies
- Encyclopedia of Consumer Brands Ref HF 5415.3 E527 1994. Includes some company history.
- Hoover's Handbook of American Business Ref HG 4057 A28617
- Hoover's Handbook of Private Companies Ref HG 4057 .A28616
- Hoover's Handbook of Emerging Companies Ref HG 4057 A28618
- International Directory of Company Histories Ref HD 2721 I58. Index in last volume.
- Million Dollar Directory Ref HC 102 D85
- Moody's Handbook of Common Stocks Ref HG 4905 M815
- Standard & Poor's Corporation Records Ref HG 4501 S76
- Standard & Poor's Industry Surveys Kept at the reference desk.
- Standard & Poor's Stock Market Encyclopedia Ref HG 4905 S79
- Value Line Investment Survey Ask for it at the reference desk.
- Ward's Business Directory Ref HG 4057 A3 W32
Strong on Statistics
(Many of the above items are also good statistical sources)
- Business Rankings Annual (1992-) Ref HD 2709 B85
- Economic Indicators Handbook Ref HC 103 E26 1992
- Statistical Forecasts of the United States Ref HC 1068 S7357 1993
- Statistical Abstract of the United States Ref HA 202 U55. Latest edition at reference desk.
Two periodicals with valuable statistical data (both may be found on the regular periodical shelves): Economic Indicators (1959- ), and Survey of Current Business (1969-2001), also available up-to-date through several of the librarys online sources.
Various indexes list articles on either specific companies, on industries, or on general business issues. Hard copy indexes listed below are shelved on the Index & Abstracts Collection on the third floor. The librarian can show them to you.
- Accountants' Index (1912-1991; hard copy)
- Accounting and Tax Index (1992- ; hard copy)
- Business Periodicals Index (1958-1996; hard copy)
- EconLit (1969- . In FirstSearch)
- Index of Economic Articles (1886- ; hard copy)
- Journal of Economic Literature (1966- ; hard copy)
- Wall Street Journal Index (1968- ; hard copy; The WSJ is also accessible in full text through ProQuest.)
- Industry Norms and Key Business Ratios Ref HF 5681 B2 D8
- Annual Statement Studies Ref HF 5681 B2 R6
If you are accessing from off campus, you must authenticate with your uniqname and your LAN password to use subscription databases. If you have authentication questions or problems, please call the ITS Help Desk at 766-6804.