Student Resources

Blackboard Student Helpguides

Click here to access Blackboard Helpguides for students.

Blackboard Student Orientation

One of the earliest challenges you may experience in a web-based course is getting comfortable with the Blackboard interface you will use to participate in discussions, turn in assignments and complete quizzes online.  We have designed an online orientation course that will help you gain experience with the core functions of Blackboard before you begin your academic coursework.  After completing the orientation you will be able to focus on your coursework, rather than learning a new technology. 

To access the Blackboard Orientation for Online Students course shell

1.  Go to the Blackboard Login page.
2.  Login with your uniqname and LAN password.  These are the same credentials you use to login to your UM-Flint email address and Student Information System (SIS).
3.  A list of the courses in which you are enrolled is displayed.  Only courses that are currently open will be listed.  If you are registered for a course in a future semester, the course will not be available in Blackboard until the first day of classes.
4.  Click the link to the Blackboard Orientation for Online Students course shell.
5.  A welcome announcement for the orientation will be displayed, along with basic introductory information to help get you started.
6.  Click the Course Content button to access orientation materials and complete the included activities.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of the content and activities within the orientation course, or if you feel that you would benefit from a one-on-one orientation session, please feel free to contact the  Helpdesk at the Office of Extended Learning at any time.

Complaint Process


This information is designed to assist out-of-state distance education students in the event they need to file a complaint. Michigan public universities operate as autonomous institutions, and there is not a state agency that adjudicates complaints regarding distance education offered by the "publics." Complaints must be filed with the individual university.

How to file a complaint regarding a UM-Flint course, program or instructor

For complaints about the technology, help desk support, and proctoring issues, students may contact the director of the Office of Extended Learning at 810-766-6798 ( This office can also assist the student in reaching the appropriate individuals who may address the student issue.

For complaints about the instructor or course content, distance learning students enrolled in a UM-Flint course should first contact the instructor, and proceed through the following individual(s), i.e. department chair and dean. Failing to achieve resolution, a student may file a petition with the college or school academic standards committee, and ultimately, Office of the Provost or Chancellor.

Complaint Escalation
Academic Issues
Technology & Support


Office of Extended Learning

Department Chair
Program Director

Senior Vice Provost


Provost Chancellor

Students who still are not satisfied after completing the above process may file a complaint within their states of residence. The contact information is provided in this document, Directory of State Authorization Agencies and Lead Contacts, updated by the State Higher Education Executive Officers Organization (SHEEO) in July 2012.

UM-Flint is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. Complaints concerning broad institutional academic practices, such as those that raise issues regarding UM-Flint’s ability to meet accreditation standards, may be filed with the Higher Learning Commission.

Course Evaluations

Login to CoursEval

Click here to learn more about course evaluations.



Undergraduate Students  (online or printable)
Graduate Students  (online or printable)

Guest Student Application

If you are enrolled at another accredited college or university, you may attend the University of Michigan - Flint as a guest student by obtaining permission from both the Office of Admissions and your home school. A Guest Student Application must be submitted from your home school.

  View Form

Disenrollment Form

If you wish to leave the university you may fill out the disenrollement form and return it to the registrars office. Do not fill out this form if you only want to drop a course, this form will terminate your student status at the Univeristy of Michigan - Flint.

  View Form

Scholarship Application

If you are applying for the Satelitte scholarships, use the form below.

  View Form


No Worker Left Behind

While many think of No Worker Left Behind as a program for the unemployed, it can also be used for individuals who want to transition to a high-demand occupation, such as health care or information technology.

No Worker Left Behind provides up to $5,000 a year for each of two years ($10,000 total) to be used toward tuition, books and fees.

Nearly all of UM-Flint's programs qualify for the program and are listed on the State's Web site at  If you don't see what you're looking for, let us know.  (Contact Krista Heiser at 810-762-3201.)

Who qualifies for No Worker Left Behind?

Individuals who are unemployed.
Individuals who have received a termination or layoff notice.
Individuals who are employed but whose family income is less than $40,000 per year.

Talk to a No Worker Left Behind case worker at your local Michigan Works office to start the application process.

Proctoring and TOEFL


Click here for Student proctoring requests and policies.


Click here for information regarding TOEFL examinations.

Virtual Computer Lab

Click here for instructions on how to login to the virtual lab