Complaint Process

Distance Education Complaint Process

This information will assist out-of-state distance education students in the event they need to file a complaint.  Michigan public universities operate as autonomous institutions, and complaints must be filed with the individual university.  In cases where distance education students do not accept the offered resolutions, they may file a complaint with their state of residence.  Individual state information can be found by clicking on the State Authorization tab in the left panel of this Web page. 

Ann Arbor Campus

Dearborn Campus

How to file a complaint regarding a UM-Flint course, program or instructor

For complaints about the technology, help desk support, and proctoring issues, students may contact the director of the Office of Extended Learning at 810-766-6798 or  This office can also assist the student in reaching the appropriate individuals who may address the student issue.

For complaints about the instructor or course content, distance learning students enrolled in a UM-Flint course should first contact the instructor, and proceed through the Student Grievance Procedures outlined in the University Catalog.

Academic Issues

Technology & Support


Students who still are not satisfied after completing the above process may file a complaint within their states of residence.  The contact information is provided in this document, Directory of State Authorization Agencies and Lead Contacts, updated by the State Higher Education Executive Officers Organization (SHEEO) annualy.

UM-Flint is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.  Complaints concerning broad institutional academic practices, such as those that raise issues regarding UM-Flint’s ability to meet accreditation standards, may be filed with the Higher Learning Commission.

If you are a member of the Military or a military spouse, please go to the Military OneSource Postsecondary Education Complaint System.