The Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS) degree is awarded in recognition of baccalaureate level study beyond approved two year programs in specified technical areas. The degree permits students with education and experience in a technical field to complete a baccalaureate degree in a program appropriate to the student’s interests and needs.
- See “Transfer Students” in the “Admissions and Recruitment” section of this Catalog for general admission requirements.
- Completion of an Associate in Applied Science degree is required for admission to the BAS program. The applicant should have at least sixteen (16) transferable semester hour credits which apply toward the general education requirements of the University of Michigan-Flint.
- Completion of an approved Associate in Applied Science (AAS) degree. Credit for technical courses transferred in under this program applies only to the BAS degree. Such technical courses cannot be used toward any other degree offered by the University of Michigan-Flint. All AAS degree concentrations are accepted toward the BAS degree, including such areas as business, construction, foods, graphic design, health, industrial management, and mechanical and electronic technology. The approval of specific programs and of the transferability of credits toward the BAS degree rests with the BAS Committee, which is chaired by the program liaison. Transfer of credit hours may not exceed sixty-two (62) credits, and is permitted only for courses in which the final grade earned was a C (2.0) or better.
- Completion of the General Education requirements of the University of Michigan-Flint, and all University of Michigan-Flint graduation requirements .
- Completion of at least 124 credit hours, at least 33 of which in upper division courses (courses numbered 300 or above), and at least 30 of which taken at the University of Michigan-Flint. No more than thirty (30) credits in business courses may be counted. This includes both transfer credits and credits earned at the University of Michigan-Flint, with the exception that students with an Associate in Applied Science (AAS) degree in business programs may retain all business credits that are part of an accepted transfer program. (Any additional credits in business earned after transfer to the University of Michigan-Flint may not be applied to the program. Students who wish to take more business courses should plan to apply to the School of Management and work toward a Bachelor of Business Administration degree.)
- Completion of a concentration in Applied Science, consisting entirely of technical credits taken during the associate degree program, and one of the following options, chosen in consultation with an advisor and allowing pursuit of areas of interest in some depth.
Option 1. Any one of the concentration minors offered by the University of Michigan-Flint. (These are listed in the Catalog “Guide to Programs and Degrees,” and are described in the introductory section of each department.)
Option 2. Fifteen (15) semester hours in each of two disciplines of the student’s choice: At least six (6) semester hours in one discipline must be in courses numbered 300 or above; three (3) semester hours in the other discipline must be in courses numbered 300 or above.
- A cumulative grade point average of C (2.0) or better in the total work at the University of Michigan-Flint.
Minimum Credits For the Degree. 124 credits