The MPA program consists of 39-42 credit hours. In addition to the general MPA, students may specialize in one of four concentrations:
- Administration of Nonprofit Agencies
- Criminal Justice Administration
- Educational Administration
- Health Care Administration
MPA General Program
- A course in government or public sector administration or relevant experience.
- PUB 571 / ECN 571 or a course in microeconomic principles taken within the last five years with a grade of at least B (3.0).
- PUB 580 / ECN 580 or a course in statistics taken within the last five years with a grade of at least B (3.0).
Requirements. Thirty-nine credits (forty-two credits for students requiring an internship), as follows:
- Core Courses (12 credits).
PUB 500 - Politics, Policy, and Public Administration.
PUB 501 - Administrative Organization and Behavior.
PUB 502 - Management in Public and Nonprofit Organizations.
PUB 504 - Ethical Issues in Public Administration.
- Administrative Functions and Processes (12 credits).
1. PUB 519 /POL 520 - Law and Administrative Processes.
PUB 596 - Intergovernmental Relations.
2. Two from:
PUB 503 - Personnel Issues in Public Service.
PUB 518 /HCR 518 - Budgeting in Public and Nonprofit Organizations.
PUB 520 - Resource Development and Administration.
PUB 524 /HCR 524 - Employment, Law and Public Policy.
PUB 540 - Volunteerism and the Independent Sector.
PUB 547 - Grants Administration and Implementation.
PUB 549 - Green Community Development.
PUB 572 /SOC 566 - Work, Occupations and Professions.
- Analytical Methods (9 credits).
1. PUB 571 /ECN 571 - Public Economics.
2. Two from:
PUB 508 /HCR 508 - Evaluation of Services and Programs.
PUB 523 - Accounting in Government and Non-Profit Organizations.
PUB 527 /HCR 527 /PSY 527 - Personnel Selection and Evaluation.
PUB 580 /ECN 580 - Quantitative Methods for Public Administration.
PUB 585 /EDL 670 - Applied Research Methods for Administrators.
PUB 594 - Grantwriting and Administration in Public and Nonprofit Agency Settings.
- Applied Research (6 credits).
PUB 593 /HCR 593 - Practicum in Research Design.
PUB 595 /HCR 595 - Practicum in Applied Research.
- Internship (0-3 credits).
PUB 590 . The internship is not required of those students who are practicing administrators or who have had two years or more experience in an administrative capacity.
Transfer of Credit
Up to six (6) credit hours of graduate credit completed at an accredited institution may be accepted for transfer. Transfers of credit are subject to the approval of the program director. Transfers are made in accordance with the policies of the Horace H. Rackham School of Graduate Studies.