Non-Candidate for Degree (NCFD) Student Orientation

Welcome from the Student Success Center. Non-Candidate for Degree (NCFD) student status can have a few different scenarios:

  • A student is not pursuing a degree and is planning on taking a few courses in various areas of interest. 
  • A student holds a bachelor’s degree and is planning to pursue teacher certification without earning a second degree.
  • A student is completing undergraduate level pre-requisite courses for admission into a different particular program.  
  • In some urgent cases, a transfer student may be admitted as an NCFD while UM-Flint awaits the arrival of their transcripts. This allows the student to register for classes without having to wait for the regular admission paperwork to be processed.

There are a few things you should know that will apply to any NCFD student:

As an NCFD student, your transcripts are not entered into our system. As a result, you will need to obtain permission to register for any course that has a prerequisite. Typically, this is done by contacting an academic department and showing them a copy of your transcript that verifies completion of the prerequisite course. Follow this link for the locations and phone numbers of each academic department: Departments, Offices, and Centers

For example, let’s say you’d like to complete Calculus 1 (MTH 121) at UM-Flint. Our prerequisite is Pre-Calculus (MTH 120) with a grade of C or better. You would need to show our Math Department proof that you have successfully completed Pre-Calculus. Upon approval of the department chair, the Math Department will enter a registration override that will allow you to register for the class in our Student Information System (SIS).

As an NCFD, you are eligible to register during open registration. Visit the semester calendar for the open registration dates:

If you wish to take either ENG 111 or ENG 112 at UM-Flint, a writing placement exam is required prior to registration. If you wish to take a math course and have not taken any other math courses you will need to complete a math placement exam. Please contact our office at (810) 762-3085 for further information.

If you are interested in pursuing a teaching certificate you should contact the Education Department Registrar for information regarding a coursework evaluation:

Debra Seyerle
Center for Educator Preparation

While orientation is not required, we recommend that you attend a transfer student orientation session.

If you would like to attend an transfer student orientation session, please contact the Academic Advising and Career Center at (810) 762-3085 or