Frances Ann Frazier Student Travel Scholarship
Frances Ann (Fran) Frazier was born August 9, 1933, the only child of James T. and Anna M. Frazier. Her parents moved to Flint from Missouri. Her father worked at the Chevrolet plant; her mother ran a boarding house. Fran attended Flint Junior College for two years, and was awarded a scholarship to the University of Chicago. She began working for the University of Michigan-Flint, initially as a secretary in the Theatre and Political Science Departments. Fran served as the English Department secretary for the last 22 years of her life. She was much admired and valued by the faculty and students. Fran loved long distance biking, playing scrabble, and knitting. She was an eclectic reader and an avid Gilbert and Sullivan fan. Having grown up in a city that offered little in the way of intellectual stimulation or exposure to the arts, Fran understood that education could open many doors for people. When she worked at UM-Flint, Fran helped students to see and seize both educational and job opportunities, and through the significant endowment she bequeathed, she continues to influence students’ lives and development. The University is deeply grateful for her very generous gift, which provides funding to support students’ participation at local, state, national, and international conferences.
Scholarship Guidelines The committee will strictly adhere to the criteria listed below.
- This scholarship will help fund students’ participation (conference registration, travel, hotel accommodations, meals, immunizations, passports, and insurance) in local, state, national, and international conferences.
- The committee would like to distribute meaningful, albeit limited funds, to a large number of applications. As such, this scholarship is not intended to fund groups or to necessarily be the sole source of student travel funding.
- Applications should already be committed to attending a conference. A scholarship award will complement the applicant’s financial resources.
- Scholarship awards, not to exceed $2,500 each, are available to UM-Flint juniors, seniors, and graduate students who have a minimum 3.0 grade point average. If faculty participate in the conference, along with the students, the scholarship is also available to freshmen and sophomores. Applicants must be current students at the time of application and at the time of the proposed travel.
- Scholarships will be awarded on a competitive basis.
- Applicants will receive an advantage over other applicants if they have:
- shown superior academic achievement,
- on-campus leadership in organizations and/or activities,
- received and/or accepted invitations to make a presentation or present a paper at the conference,
- shown that their conference attendance will be of significant academic and/or professional value.
- Applicants must submit a completed Frances Ann Frazier Student Travel Scholarship Application to the Office of the Provost.
- Applicants will be evaluated on an individual basis.
- The Faculty Advisory Application Endorsement should be filled out individually and sent separately to the Provost Office by sponsoring faculty member. The endorsement should persuasively support the applicant and provide as much additional information as possible to assist the Committee in making a positive decision.
- Award recipients must submit a written report, Budget Verification Worksheet, and original receipts to the Office of the Provost within two weeks following the conference. This submission should also include handouts, brochures, booklets, etc., confirming attendance at the conference.
- The Frazier Selection Committee, appointed by the Provost and the Director for Development and Alumni Relations, will be comprised of one representative from each of the three schools (School of Education and Human Services, School of Health Professions and Studies, and School of Management), one representative each from the College of Arts and Sciences, Graduate Programs, and Student Affairs. The Selection Committee will meet quarterly.
Scholarship Application Requirements:
Please return all scholarship application materials to:
Frances Ann Frazier Student Travel
Scholarship Selection Committee
Office of the Provost
University of Michigan-Flint
229 University Pavilion
Flint, Michigan 48502-1950
For your convenience forms can be downloaded and digitally
filled out, but must be printed for signatures and submission.
Printable documents (PDF):