THE OLIVIA P. MAYNARD AND OLOF KARLSTROM FACULTY AWARD FOR CIVIC ENGAGEMENT
Due to a generous gift from Regent Olivia P. Maynard and Olof Karlstrom, University Outreach and Academic Affairs will grant one $1500 faculty stipend per academic year for excellence in civic engagement.
Nominees should hold one of the following:
- A full-time faculty appointment -- tenured, or tenure-track.
The intent of this award is to recognize and honor faculty for their significant contribution to advancing the practice of civic engagement through teaching and scholarship and the University of Michigan-Flint.
- Significant experience in teaching civic engagement: evidence of innovative ways of employing a reflective teaching methodology to connect community and public service experience with academic study. (Service here is broadly defined to encompass a variety of activities — including research, organizing, and advocacy — that address important public issues.)
- Evidence of engaged scholarship: scholarship of discovery, integration, application, and/or teaching, including, but not limited to, community-based action research, scholarship on the pedagogy of civic engagement, or research on the impact of civic engagement on students, the campus or the community.
- Evidence of institutional impact: demonstrated leadership that promotes civic engagement on campus and/or within in one's discipline.
Name of nominee and the name of the award for which the person is being nominated is due no later than Friday, January 22, 2016. This information should be emailed to email@example.com. The deadline for supporting documents is Thursday, March 11, 2016. Supporting documents should be submitted to the chair of the Scholarships, Awards and Special Events Committee, c/o Provost’s Office, 229 University Pavilion or via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nomination Requirements - maximum of 12 pages (including nomination form)
- Nomination for Faculty Award form.
- Nominee's condensed vita (2 pages).
- Signature from appropriate department chair (dean in the case of SOM, director in the case of SHPS) on the Nomination for Faculty Award form.
- A 2-3 page essay that specifically addresses the faculty member’s engagement efforts.
- An example of a syllabus from a previous class that outlines the faculty and/or student engagement.
- A letter of support (this can come from the chancellor, provost, faculty, student, administrator, or community partner).
- Commitment to attend faculty convocation if selected.
The Special Events and Awards Committee will review eligible applicants and select one faculty member per academic year starting with Fall 2009. University Outreach and Academic Affairs will be noted as the co-sponsors of this award with Olivia P. Maynard and Olof Karlstrom being recognized as the funders/ supporters.
Here is the Nomination for Faculty/Staff Award Form.