Mission and Vision
The mission of the UM – Flint Physical Therapy Department is to improve human movement and function, promote health and well-being, and enhance individual’s ability to participate in and contribute to society by advancing the practice of physical therapy.
We accomplish our mission by:
- Preparing highly skilled physical therapists with the knowledge, skills and professional judgment to practice in a wide range of practice settings, use evidence-based decision making in their clinical practice, engage in continuous professional development, and function with a well-developed sense of professionalism and social responsibility in an evolving, culturally diverse, interdisciplinary system;
- Conducting research and scholarly activities that advance the evidence-based practice of physical therapy and inform the education of practitioners;
- Providing post-professional degree programs and continuing professional education supporting lifelong learning and professional advancement;
- Preparing the next generation of researchers and teachers to advance the practice of physical therapy; and
- Engaging with the multiple communities we serve and our profession to improve access to healthcare and physical therapy services.
Our work is guided by the following principles:
- Act with professional and ethical responsibility. (Professional duty, Integrity, Responsibility)
- Foster environments for collaboration, diversity, service, and accountability. (Accountability)
- Act with caring and compassion. (Caring and Compassion)
- Support and reward excellence and innovation. (Excellence)
- Create competencies for lifelong learning. (Continuing Competence)
- Use evidence-based decision making in all physical therapist practice.
- Advocate for patient-centered care, access and equity. (Altruism)
- Service to benefit our community and our profession. (Social Responsibility, Professional Duty)