The Bachelor of Science in Public Health prepares students for a wide range of entry level public health positions. The coursework includes the foundational knowledge of public health practice (epidemiology, health policy, global health) and reflects the values of public health: community engagement, disease prevention, health promotion and serving vulnerable populations. The program’s major focus on health education prepares students to implement behavior modification and lifestyle changes for individuals, families and communities. The curriculum is designed to provide students with the competencies required to take the Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) exam.
We are “Public Health in the Community.” Our diverse faculty offer a dynamic, community engaged educational experience to prepare public health leaders to work to reduce health inequities in underserved populations.
We will be known for our learning environment which is informed by the knowledge and experiences of our diverse student, faculty and community partners, who together develop achievable and innovative solutions to public health challenges within our city and beyond. Our solutions will be characterized by the synergy between multicultural local and global perspectives.
- Diversity: Our diverse faculty and students bring their highly varied ideas, beliefs, and cultures to classroom interactions, scholarly activities, and community partnerships.
- Social Justice: Our students and faculty engage in professional activities to reduce social disparities and health inequities in our communities.
- Ethical Practice: Uphold high standards of honesty, integrity, and fairness in public health research, teaching, and service
- Professionalism: Model the duties and responsibilities of public health consistent with the code of conduct for the field.
- Community/Partnerships: Engaging in mutually beneficial community collaborations built on respect, trust, and personal commitment to improve the public health status of local and global communities.
- Global: Create an educational synergy among domestic and international students, faculty, and communities that foster learning and practice opportunities that improve public health across cultures.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook
- Health Care Jobs
- Healthcare Careers Guide
- HEALTH eCAREERS Network
- What is Public Health?
- Public Health Online