The Bachelor of Science in Public Health prepares students for a wide range of entry level public health positions. The coursework includes the foundational knowledge of public health practice (epidemiology, health policy, global health) and reflects the values of public health: community engagement, disease prevention, health promotion and serving vulnerable populations. The program’s major focus on health education prepares students to implement behavior modification and lifestyle changes for individuals, families and communities. The curriculum is designed to provide students with the competencies required to take the Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) exam.
Our mission is to improve health in the community through collaborative research and community service. We aim to produce future practitioners who promote healthy populations by providing experiential learning opportunities through community engagement.
Achieving health equity in Flint and beyond.
- Diversity, Inclusion and Equity
- Social Justice
- Ethical Practice
- Community and Partnerships
- Local-Global Synergy
The Department of Public Health & Health Sciences is pursuing accreditation
for its public health programs (MPH & BS) through the Council on Education
for Public Health (CEPH) . This extensive process is enhanced through input
from our many stakeholders. See below for opportunities to participate in this process.
Serve in an advisory capacity on one of the following committees:
- Admissions, Recruitment and Retention
- Public Health Advisory Committee
- Research & Community Engagement
- Review select sections of the self-study document and data
- Complete surveys as needed on various aspects of the program, such as:
- Academic advising surveys (current students)
- Alumni perceptions of program effectiveness
- Course evaluations (current students)
- Input on workforce development ideas and effectiveness
- Staff services
If you are interested in any aspect of this process please email
Dr. Michelle Sahli your contact information at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Criterion for the accreditation process is below: