The UM-Flint Recreation Center remains closed due to the COVID-19 outbreak. We are working to establish a reopening schedule and will provide more information as soon as it is available.
When the executive order is lifted, and gyms and other recreational facilities are allowed to reopen, we anticipate needing a few weeks to complete the necessary maintenance and safety precautions to prepare our facilities to safely operate in a COVID-19 public health informed environment. These include:
- Hiring and training temporary staff.
- Deep cleaning and sanitation of all spaces.
- Preventative maintenance and cleaning of cardio/strength equipment.
- Redesigning layouts of equipment to provide for safe social distancing of 6 feet.
- Ensuring building systems (HVAC, sanitary, etc) are running efficiently.
- Procurement of necessary cleaning and safety supplies.
- Posting new signage and sanitation materials.
- Making progress on other infrastructure needs.
We expect that there will be some public health guidelines and campus requirements for maintaining safe operations within the Recreation Center that may include: wearing face coverings, limiting facility occupancy, and restricting/modifying the availability of some indoor activities, etc. We will be sure to provide information about what these guidelines and requirements may be as soon as possible.
The exact reopening date will not be determined until after the Governor’s order is lifted and staff are able to return to work. This will allow us to evaluate the amount of work needed and then develop timelines for how quickly this work can be completed given current lead times on procuring equipment and supplies.
All in-person Rec Center programs remain suspended, pending relaxation of State of Michigan restrictions and University guidelines. Please visit the pages for Fitness classes, Intramural Sports and Club Sports for programming updates.
We are excited about the opportunity to reopen and serve all of our students and members. We miss seeing you and the opportunity to provide for your health and well-being needs. When we come back, we want to make sure we do so in the safest way possible for all students and members. We appreciate your continued patience and understanding during this evolving time.