Bicycles at UM-Flint
Hourly Bike Rentals
From May through October, bicycles and helmets can be rented by UM-Flint students, faculty/staff, Rec Center members and community members for $2/hour for up to four hours. Valid photo ID or MCard is required.
HCR 113 Bicycling on the Flint River Trail is an elective 1 credit-hour course offered spring and fall semesters. Bicycles and helmets are provided free for students registered in the course. Faculty interested in using bicycles for academic courses may make arrangements through the Recreation Center by contacting Gary Parr at: firstname.lastname@example.org -or- calling 810-762-3441.
Lease A Bike!
Want a bicycle for the warm weather season, but don’t want to buy a new one? Lease a refurbished used bike from the Rec Center for $50. Bring it back at the end of the season for a partial refund. Contact Gary Parr at: email@example.com -or- call 762-3441 to make arrangements.
Walk & Bike Work Group
Students, faculty/staff, and community are all welcome to join the Walk & Bike Group Group. The mission of the group is to establish a walking & bicycling friendly culture at UM-Flint that fosters the support of safe, non-motorized transportation initiatives, policies, & infrastructures across campus & through the greater Flint area. Increased walking & bicycling will lead to reduced congestion on campus, enhanced local & regional transportation options for current students, staff & faculty, aid in attracting future students, and ultimately lead to a safer & healthier community for everone in Flint.
Get Involved! Meetings: 1st Friday of every month, 1 pm, Alumni Room (3rd floor University Center)
Find us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/umflintwalkandbikeworkgroup
Bicycles brought to the UM-Flint campus must be registered with the Department of Public Safety (DPS). Bring the bicycle to DPS in the Hubbard Building 8 am - 5 pm and the following information:
- Bike serial #
- Brand of bike & model
- Color and/or trim color
- Frame & wheel size
- Style of bike
- Other identifying features and/or accessories
Tips for preventing bicycle theft:
- Lock your bike everytime it must be left unattended
- Use a U-bar lock
- Secure both the frame and wheels with lock
- Detach the seat and take with you if possible
- Park your bike on racks in well-lit, designated areas
- Know where your bike is at all times
- Avoid parking your bike for extended periods without checking on it
- Keep information, such as color, brand, frame & wheel size, serial number, etc, to help identify the bike if stolen
- Report immediately to DPS if your bike is stolen or if you see suspicious activity around bike racks on campus
If you have any questions about bike registration or bicycle safety, call DPS at 810-762-3335, or dial 911 from a campus phone, or pick up a red emergency phone.