Spring 2013 Commencement Ceremony
The Spring 2013 Commencement Exercises will be held on Sunday, May 5, 2013 at the Perani Arena and Events Center, located at 3501 Lapeer Road, Flint, MI 48503. The University will hold two commencement ceremonies, the first at 11:00 a.m. and the second at 3:00 p.m. Two ceremonies will allow students a larger number of tickets for guests. Each ceremony is expected to last approximately 2 hours. (Click here for driving directions to Perani Arena)
11:00 a.m. Ceremony:
- Undergraduate and Graduate students from the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Graduate students from the Rackham School of Graduate Studies.
3:00 p.m. Ceremony:
- Undergraduate and Graduate students from the School of Management.
- Undergraduate and Graduate students from the School of Health Professions and Studies.
- Undergraduate and Graduate students from the School of Education and Human Services.
All May 2013 graduates as well as August 2013 anticipated graduates may participate. Students planning to participate in this ceremony must register to participate by April 12th. Please contact Brenda Pope at 810-766-6835 for more information.
Each student who registers to participate in the ceremony by the deadline of April 12, 2013 will receive the following tickets:
- For the 11:00 ceremony participants will receive 10 tickets
- For the 3:00 ceremony participants will receive 9 tickets
Graduating students who have registered for the commencement ceremony can pick up their tickets in the Registrar's Office beginning April 22nd thru May 3rd between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. on Friday. The last day to pick up tickets is May 3rd between the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. You must show a valid student I.D. in order to receive tickets, and your name MUST be on the list of pre-registered students. The tickets are general admission tickets, and guests will be able to sit anywhere in the arena. If you are unable to come and pick up your tickets, please contact the Office of the Registrar to make other arrangements.
If you require special accommodations due to physical limitations, please indicate this on the registration form. You will be contacted to further discuss the details of your required accommodation, or you may contact the Accessibility Coordinator, Zach Tomlinson, directly at (810) 424-5533 or by email at email@example.com.
Grad Fair 2013
The Graduation Fair will be held in the University of Michigan-Flint Bookstore, March 12th and 13th from 11:00 am - 6:00 pm. The Bookstore is located on the first floor of the University Pavilion (106 UPAV). You may contact the Bookstore at (810) 762-3030.
Highlights of Graduation Fair
- Purchase your cap and gown
- Order your Balfour class ring
- Order graduation announcements
Purchase your diploma frame
Join the UM-F Alumni Association
Cap and Gown
All degree candidates who participate in Commencement must wear appropriate academic attire. Caps and gowns are available for purchase at University Pavilion Bookstore any business day prior to the Ceremony.
|Bachelors||$46.98 per package (cap, gown, tassel)|
$83.96 per package (cap, gown, tassel, hood)
|Specialist||$87.96 per package (cap, Master gown and specialist hood)|
$163.94 per package (tam, velvet gown, hood)
|Ed.S Specialist hood||$38.98 per packge (If using previously purchased Masters cap and gown)|
|Tassel key chain
|Souvenier Jumbo Tassel (Maize and Blue)
To avoid any difficulty obtaining your correct size in cap and gown, attire should be picked up from the Bookstore as soon as possible. For more information, go to http://umflint.bkstore.com/bkstore/content.
The Perani Arena and Event Center is located at 3501 Lapeer Road, Flint, MI, 48503. Parking is available for $5.00 per vehicle in the surface lots surrounding Perani Arena. One free parking pass will be given to all pre-registered participants when they pick up their tickets. Any additional vehicles in a graduate's guest party will be required to pay Perani $5.00 at the gate. (Lost, misplaced or stolen passes will not be replaced. )
Please note that traffic backups are common in the hour before the ceremony. We recommend that graduates and guests arrive early. Carpooling is strongly recommended due to limited spaces.
Assembly for Graduates
CHECK-IN: Graduates participating in the ceremony should report immediately upon arrival to the lower level of Perani Arena. There will be registration tables to assist you.
- 11:00 a.m. Ceremony: Check in will be held from 9:00 to 10:30 a.m. You must check in before 10:30 a.m.
- 3:00 p.m. Ceremony: Check in will be held from 1:00 to 2:30 p.m. You must check in before 2:30 p.m.
Only graduates and authorized personnel are allowed in the lower level of the Arena. Please make arrangements with family and friends to meet in a designated area after the ceremony.
Personal belongings (purses, backpacks, etc) are not appropriate with ceremonial dress. Please make arrangements for storing personal items with family or friends before reporting to the registration area because there is no secure storage in the Perani Arena.
Upon check-in each graduate will receive a name card. If necessary, please indicate the phonetic pronunciation of your name to assist the Marshal. Your card contains a number that indicates your place in the line of march. You must line up according to this number. The line of march must be organized and orderly to facilitate the timely beginning of the ceremony.
- Click here to visit the Graduation Foto website.
Seating Chart for Graduates
- Information coming soon!
Families and Guests
- Guests must be seated 15 minutes before the start of ceremony. Guests arriving late may experience traffic delays and limited parking options.
- Personnel will be available to direct and assist people with disabilities. Sign language interpreters will be present for those with hearing impairments.
- Graduates should make arrangements for family and friends to meet in a designated area after the ceremony.
- You will receive one diploma cover at the ceremony. Your actual diploma will be mailed at a later date.
- Graduates and guests are expected to remain for the entire ceremony.
- Alcoholic beverages, beach balls, balloons, etc. are not allowed and will be immediately confiscated.
- Please turn off all cell phones and pagers prior to the ceremony.
A photo area will be available during the ceremony.
If the Ceremony must be postponed due to inclement weather, the cancellation will be posted on the University of Michigan-Flint homepage (www.umflint.edu), on the M-Formation line at (810) 767-1863, and on local television stations.