Internal Funding Opportunities

The Office of Research and Sponsored Programs supports faculty research through internally-funded awards. 

Research and Creative Activity Committee

Research and Creative Activity Awards are offered in the Fall and Winter semesters of each academic year. Requests for funding are reviewed by the Research and Creative Activity Committee (RCAC). The Office of Research staff oversees the distribution and management of these awards.  While pedagogical efforts are recognized as an important part of a university’s function, it is not the purpose of the Office of Research to fund this activity.  Other units at the University of Michigan-Flint provide support for pedagogical projects.

Dr. Ben F. Bryer Foundation Medical Research Fund

The Office of Institutional Advancement and Office of Research manage the Dr. Ben F. Bryer Foundation Medical Research Fund.  The Fund was established by the family of Ben F. Bryer to encourage and support the medical research endeavors of University of Michigan-Flint faculty.  This research fund honors the accomplishments of Ben Bryer, surgeon, scientist, educator, author, and humanist, in his pursuit of medical knowledge.  Funding is available, on an application basis, to full-time faculty of the University of Michigan-Flint to provide support for medical and biomedical research, with a priority given to research related to cancer. The call for proposals occurs twice per academic year, at the same time as the Research and Creative Activity Committee competition. 

UM-Ann Arbor Office of Research (UMOR)

The UM-Ann Arbor Office of Research (UMOR) offers support for research, scholarship, and creative activities in all fields. Instructional Faculty, Research Faculty, Research Scientists, Librarians, Curators, and Archivists are eligible.

International Travel Awards for Tenured or Tenure-track Faculty

The Office of Research and Sponsored Programs (ORSP) has limited funding to assist faculty with their international travel each year.  Support for international travel is intended for faculty who are presenting their scholarly and creative works at an international conference or a session organizer/chair. International travel grants are awarded on a competitive basis and the number of awards will depend upon the number and amounts of requests and available funding.  ORSP will provide up to 75% of your travel expenses, up to $1,500, contingent upon the academic unit providing the remaining 25%.

Deadline for application for travel funds for international travel in late fall- winter semester FY 2018 will be set for fall 2017.

Application form for International Travel Funding