Project Title: Experimental Investigation of Multiphase Flow
Faculty Sponsor: Quamrul Mazumder
Project Description: Multiphase flow is a complex phenomenon observed in several fluid handling application with gas-liquid and solid mixture in the flowing fluid. Due to random spatial distribution of these particles, the flow behavior changes continuously with unpredictable pressure drops and velocity profiles. The objective of this study is to perform experimental investigation of multiphase flow to determine determine the pressure drop, velocity and erosion behaviors. A multiphase flow test loop will be used in the engineering laboratory to conduct the experiments. The experimental results will be compared with single phase flow and CFD results to evaluate how multiphase flow behavior is different from single phase flows.
Student Tasks & Responsibilities: Students will be required to:
- Become familiar with the multiphase flow test systems in the engineering laboratory.
- Develop procedures to conduct experiments in different flow conditions
- Prepare specimens and test samples for experiments.
- Perform uncertainty analysis of the experimental results.
- Literature review of previous work and develop research papers for conference.
- Validate experimental results with available results in literature.
- Meet with Project Sponsor on a regular basis and complete assigned tasks with the deadline.
Minimum Student Qualifications:
- Must be a student of engineering or computer science
- High level of motivation to conduct research
- Responsible, dependable and able to work with minimum supervision
- Able to work as needed by the sponsor to meet project deadlines.
- Previous background in writing research papers and presentations.
Proposed Starting Date: 01/01/2014
Proposed Ending Date: 12/31/2014