Project Title: Verification and Validation of CFD results
Faculty Sponsor: Quamrul Mazumder
Project Description: The objective of this research is to verify and validate computational fluid dynamics results with available literature and experimental data. The velocities and spatial distribution of discrete particles are important as these will significantly influence the fluid and flow behaviors. The particle velocities will impact the inner wall of the flow handling equipments causing material loss. Repeated impact of these particles may cause severe damage and erosion to the inner wall. This may result equipment failure.
Computational Fluid Dynamics analysis (CFD) will be performed using commercial CFD codes such as FLUENT, COMSOL or OPENFOAM as necessary. Different types of elbow, Tee and other geometry will be created in ANSYS workbench and them analyzed in FLUENT. The results will be compared will available literature data and experimental results for validations.
The results will be presented by students in peer reviewed conferences and journals. Students will also present them at Meeting of Minds and Undergraduate Research Conferences at UM-Flint.
Student Tasks & Responsibilities:
1) Develop research plan and schedule
2) Create Geometry in ANSYS workbench
3) Perform CFD analysis in accordance with the research plan
4) Literature review and investigate similar work performed by other investigators
5) Attend weekly research meetings
6) Analyze data, prepare reports, presentations and paper
7) Work closely with faculty supervisor and complete assigned tasks in a timely manner.
Minimum Student Qualifications:
1) Background in engineering with courses in fluid mechanics and CAD.
2) Ability to work independently and complete assigned task on-time.
3) Flexible and able to work as needed
4) Good communication skills in writing research papers