Project Title: Experimental Investigation Using Particle Image Velocimetry (PIV) system
Faculty Sponsor: Quamrul Mazumder
Project Description: The objective of this research is to design a test loop and test system to investigate particle behavior (i.e. velocity) in air and water. The experimental set-up will require an elbow made with transparent glass tubing of one inch diameter that will connected to water and air sources. The test loop will be recirculating where seed particles will be used to determine the velocity and spatial distribution of the particles.
The velocity of particles in the bend area of the elbow that impacts the wall region is of interest for this study. The particle velocities will impact the inner wall of the flow handling equipments causing material loss. Repeated impact of these particles may cause severe damage and erosion to the inner wall. This may result equipment failure.
A La Vision PIV system was procured by engineering department to conduct research in particle tracking and imaging. Due to complexities associated with the PIV instrumentation, a test system and associated components must be designed and developed. The scope of this project is to develop the test and data acquisition systems to collect meaning particle velocity data. Data obtained from the PIV system will be used to develop better understanding of the erosion phenomenon. The results will be compared will available literature data and experimental results for validations.
The results will be presented by students in peer reviewed conferences and journals. Students will also present them at Meeting of Minds and Undergraduate Research Conferences at UM-Flint.
Student Tasks & Responsibilities:
1) Develop research plan and schedule
2) Design and develop test system and components for the the PIV system
3) Perform experiment in accordance with the research plan
4) Literature review and investigate similar work performed by other investigators
5) Attend weekly research meetings
6) Analyze data, prepare reports, presentations and paper
7) Work closely with faculty supervisor and complete assigned tasks in a timely manner.
Minimum Student Qualifications:
1) Background in engineering with courses in fluid mechanics.
2) Ability to work independently and complete assigned task on-time.
3) Flexible and able to work as needed
4) Good communication skills in writing research papers