Project Title: Investigating the Targets of Evolving Malicious Mobile Applications
Faculty Sponsor: Fadi Mohsen
Project Description: Research Questions:
The biggest question that we are aiming to answer in this project is: are there any correlation between the features of target mobile devices and the number and sophistication levels of malicious mobile applications targeting them?
- Collect malicious mobile application samples from he wild and from the literature.
- For each collected sample, find its target device/s
- For each device, find its specifications/features, single out unique ones.
- Investigate if there is any kind of correlation between the these features and the number and sophistication levels of malicious mobile applications targeting them?
- 1) We will be referring to a set of websites that are specialized in collecting malicious samples. In addition to using data from previous research projects.
- 2) To find the targeted mobile devices, each malicious application sample must reverse engineered to extract its manifest file. Then, the target will be specified in it.
Student Tasks & Responsibilities:
- Collect malicious mobile application samples from the Internet
- Investigate the literature
- Reverse-engineer the malicious apps
- Summarize the results
- Write up the conclusion
Minimum Student Qualifications: Someone who is motivated, likes to learn new things, organized, and shows up on time.