Entering the University of Michigan-Flint

Whether you are a new freshman or a transfer student, you must submit an application to the Admissions Office. They can assist you with gaining acceptance into the University, transferring classes, and familiarizing you with the campus. Once you have been accepted, you will receive a letter from the Academic Advising Center letting you know where you should go for advising. Typically, you will start out meeting with an advisor from Academic Advising, and then later you will be sent directly to an advisor from the Department of Sociology/Anthropology/Criminal Justice. Most placement tests are administered by the Academic Advising Center. You can still take anthropology, criminal justice, or sociology courses without being admitted into the program.

Honors Program in Sociology, Anthropology, or Criminal Justice

There are two ways to enter the program: 1) as an entering freshman or 2) as a current sophomore or a transfer student. Admission into the Honors Program for high school students is decided during the time of admission into the University. Applicants are considered on the basis of grade point average, extracurricular activities, ACT score, and personal interview. All honors students start out as part of the general Honors Program. Once you have declared your major and completed the freshman/sophomore honors program, you will apply to the Honors Program in your chosen academic discipline. Sophomore and transfer applicants are considered on the basis of grade point average, coursework, and personal interview.