If you or someone you know may be a victim of crime, seek help as soon as possible by contacting the Department of Public Safety (DPS) at (810) 762-3333. DPS takes all reports seriously and completes full investigations by our officers / investigators, who are on duty 24/7. DPS also can assist or connect all students, faculty and staff with resources to apply for a Personal Protection Order to help stop the contacts.
Adovocacy - Anonymous
The mission of the Women’s Educational Center is to support women and all students, staff, faculty, as well as community members, in their academic goals; to deepen and enrich awareness of and education about gender issues; and to oppose inequities and barriers imposed on women.
- 213 UCEN
- (810) 237-6648
Advocacy - Confidential
24 - HOUR CRISIS LINE
(810) 238-SAFE (7233)
Survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault may become involved with the criminal justice system, or with family law court in divorce/custody matters, child protection proceedings, or personal protection order cases. The legal system can be difficult to understand and can feel threatening and unfriendly at times. Victim Advocates are available to provide the following services:
- Advocacy and communication on behalf of survivors
- Accompaniment and support at court
- Assistance with applying for Crime Victim Compensation
- Assistance with preparing, filing, serving and maintaining personal protection orders
- Do-it-yourself divorce workshops for survivors
- Referrals to attorneys for direct legal representation
24-hour crisis line provides trained advocates that are able to answer questions, provide information and referrals, assist survivor in accessing other YWCA services and begin the intake process for SafeHouse for those in need of safe shelter.
- 810-238-7621 (non-crisis line)
- 801 S. Saginaw St.; Flint, MI 48502
RECOMMENDED ACTIONS FOR SURVIVORS
- Remember you are not to blame for what happened to you, no matter what the circumstances were.
- Consider reporting the assault to the police department in the jurisdiction where the event took place. DPS will assist campus members with law enforcement agency has jurisdiction if needed.
- Know your options. Call an advocate on YWCA’s 24-hour crisis line at (810) 238-7233 for immediate support and/or to discuss medical and reporting options.
- If a sexual assault is, or may be invovled, request a medical examination at the YWCA of Greater Flint, Hurley Medical Center or your local hospital emergency room. This exam will be provided to you at no cost.
- Tell someone you trust. Domestic/dating vilolence, sexual assaults and stalkings are an enormous burden to bear alone. Talking to a supportive friend or family member often can be helpful. UM-Flint Counseling and Phychological Services (CAPS) staff also is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to speak with you and provide you with support. UM-Flint Women's Education Center (WEC) can help you navigate the academic, legal, medical, and housing resources available to you as a University of Michigan-Flint community member.
RECOMMENDED ACTIONS FOR SUPPORTERS OF SURVIVORS FOLLOWING AN ASSAULT
- Let the survivor know right away if you have any mandated responsibility to report the crime so they can make informed decisions about whether and how much information to share with you.
- Listen to what the survivor is telling you without interruption. Allow the survivor to lead the conversation and share as little or as much as they choose.
- Believe that the survivor is telling you what they feel happened. Refrain from asking questions that focus on the survivor’s actions, choices, appearance, prior experience, etc. since the assault was the choice of the perpetrator and not the survivor.
- Support the survivor in whatever way is requested, to the degree you are able. Respect the decisions that the survivor makes, even if you don’t agree with them. Do not take it personally if the survivor does not want your help.
- Refer and connect the survivor to trained professionals for comprehensive crisis intervention, advocacy, and support.