Instructions: A brief description of each position is given below. Please read over this information carefully before making your selection.
The Vice-president shall have the power and duty to:
(a) Act on the President’s behalf upon her or his request; and
(b) Be responsible for the development and training of the members of the Student Government; and
(c) Ensure the effective, professional, and well-organized operation of the Student Government office(s); and
(d) Act as Chair of the Senate; and in case of tie vote within the Senate the Vice President shall vote to break the tie; and
(e) Organize committee assignments; and
(f) Create a monthly Report to Senate on the activities and decisions of the Vice-president.
Director of Administrative Affairs
The Director of Administrative Affairs shall also serve as the Archivist of the Student Government and shall have the authority and duty to:
(1) Record and maintain the records, documents, writs, papers and publications, both electronic and hard-copy, of the Student Government; and
(2) Provide proper notice of Student Government meetings and activities in accordance with Student Government policy; and
(3) Provide students and members of the university community with copies of Student Government records, in accordance with Student Government policy, upon written request; and
(4) Attend meetings of the Senate, provide any relevant and necessary information, and create a monthly Report to Senate on the activities and decisions of the Secretary.
Director of Financial Affairs
The Director of Financial Affairs shall also serve as the Chair of the Student Funding Board, which is composed of three (3) Senators, three (3) at-large members, and one (1) Assistant Director. He/she shall have the authority and duty to:
(1) Establish and maintain the capital goods and material supplies of the Student Government; and
(2) Develop an annual Budget of the Student Government in consultation with executive officers, committee chairs, and auxiliary unit chairs; and
(3) Complete and process paperwork and any requirements necessary for the transfer of funds and monies to, and from, the Student Government in accordance with University and University campus policy.
Director of Government and Legal Affairs
The Director of Government and Legal Affairs shall be the chair of the Committee on Government and Legal Affairs, which is composed of at least four (4) members. He/she shall have the authority and duty to:
(1) Assist, Senate, and service students and student organizations in understanding the process and requirements of student, University and University campus policies and regulations, and what action can be taken by a student and student organization to reach a desired outcome; and
(2) Investigate a potential violation of student, university, university campus, and college/school policy, except a violation of an election policy, upon the request of a student or student organization, and then may prosecute a substantive complaint on behalf of a complaining student party, in cases when the Student Government is not a responding party; and
(3) Represent the Student Government when a case arises before the Judiciary; and
(4) Assist in drafting, marking up, amending, and enrolling legislation.
(5) Be knowledgeable of Robert’s Rules of Order, Revised, and serve as the Student Government Parliamentarian; and
(6) Nominate to the President, and the President shall appoint, a Student Advocate to be confirmed by the Senate; and
(7) Maintain and review the records of the Student Government; and
(8) Consult with legal experts when necessary; and
(9) Create, maintain, and distribute a manual of student rights, responsibilities, policies, and processes for filing a case before the Judiciary; and
(10) Assist the Vice-President with the training of members of the Senate and auxiliary units on the use of Robert’s Rules
Director of Student Organization and Partnership Board
The Director for Student Organizations shall be the Chair of the Student Organizations Partnership Board, which is composed of one (1) representative from each recognized student organization, and one (1) Assistant Director. He/she shall have the authority and duty to:
(1) Assist and service students and student organizations in understanding the processes and requirements necessary for the development, promotion, and leadership of a student organization; and
(2) Attend meetings of the Senate, provide any relevant and necessary information, and create a monthly Report to Senate on the activities and decisions of the Board and Director.
Director of Student Relations
The Director of Student Relations shall be the chair of the Committee on Student Relations, which is composed of at least four (4) members. He/she shall have the authority and duty to:
(1) Be responsible for the publicizing of Student Government actions and activities to students, the University, University campus, and greater community; for facilitating communication and dialog between, and with, students, Student Government, University, University campus, and greater community; and for organizing and implementing events and activities that promote and foster support for the students and the Student Government; for publishing the documents of the Student Government; for developing and implementing a Student Government marketing plan; for developing and implementing a Student Government recruitment program.
Director of University Affairs
Chairperson of the Committee on University Affairs, the committee shall be composed of at least four (4) members. He/she shall be authorized and responsible for:
(1) Advocate on behalf of students in all affairs relevant to university student, academic, and administration affairs; and
(2) Protect the rights of students; and
(3) Provide students with information and services on university policies and procedures; and
(4) Ensure the seating of students on University and University campus committees; and
(5) Organize programs and services to assist students in having a fulfilling and successful academic and student experience; and
(6) Work with the Director of Financial Affairs when reviewing and recommending the budget; and
Director of Technology/Web Development
The Director of Web Development shall serve as the chair of the Committee on Technology. He/she shall have the authority and duty to:
(1) Be responsible for the creation of the University Of Michigan-Flint Student Government website and blog; and for the proper maintenance and up-date of the University Of Michigan-Flint Student Government website and blog; and
(2) Serve at the charge of the President; and
The Student Association of Michigan (SAM) Liaison shall serve as the representative of the University of Michigan-Flint in the Student Association of Michigan. He/she shall have the duty to:
(1) Attend all SAM conference meetings; and
(2) Report to Student Government about SAM initiatives, and coordinate efforts to implement those initiatives on campus; and
(3) Ensure that Student Government is in compliance and in good standing with SAM; and
(4) Be an active participant in SAM projects, committees, and perform all required tasks.