Admissions Process


Entering the University of Michigan-Flint

Whether you are a new freshman or a transfer student, you must submit an application to the Admissions Office. They can assist you with gaining acceptance into the University, transferring classes, and familiarizing you with the campus. Once you have been accepted, you will receive a letter from the Academic Advising Center letting you know where you should go for advising. Typically, you will start out meeting with an advisor from Academic Advising, but you may be sent directly to a specific department for advising depending on the number of credits you are transferring into the University. Most placement tests are administered by the Academic Advising Center. You can still take some of the courses offered by SHPS without being admitted into a program.

Each graduate program at the University of Michigan-Flint has its own policies and procedures for admission.  To apply, you must submit an application (either online or with a paper application), pay the application fee, and submit all supporting materials (transcripts, letters of recommendation, etc.) required by the program to which you wish to apply by the application deadline. Visit the Graduate Programs Web site for specific details.


Entering into the School of Health Professions and Studies

You must declare your major through the Registrar's Office. Once you have chosen a major, you must successfully complete your program's prerequisites. Depending on your major, you may have to submit an application to the specific program you are pursuing. Once you have met prerequisites and/or been accepted into a program, you will be advised in the department of your major.

Honors Program

Admission into the Honors Program is decided during the time of admission into the University. Applicants are considered on the basis of grade point average, extracurricular activities, ACT score, and personal interview. All honors students start out as part of the general Honors Program. Once you have declared communication as your major and completed the freshman/sophomore honors program, you will apply to the Honors Program in your major.