Physical Therapy

The University of Michigan-Flint Physical Therapy department is preparing physical therapists who are professional, competent practitioners for the rapidly changing health care industry of the 21st century.  Physical Therapists work closely with people who suffer from physical pain and disabilities, perhaps as a result of an accident or debilitating condition.  Working hands-on with their patients, they aim to restore mobility by performing tests and providing treatments to help prevent or limit conditions such as low back pain, arthritis, heart disease, fractures, head injuries, and cerebral palsy.  Physical Therapists are strong advocates of healthy and active lifestyles.  They are also found in research, education and management roles.  We offer a Doctor in Physical Therapy degree, which will be necessary to practice physical therapy in the near future.  Money magazine has recently named careers in physical therapy as the #4 best job in America and #6 in best projected job growth.


The Doctor in Physical Therapy (DPT) is a clinical doctorate. It is an entry-level degree that signifies a level of competency to practice within the scope of physical therapy. A clinical doctorate degree prepares the student to perform all the duties necessary for clinical practice and therefore has clinical application rather than an academic application as found in a Ph.D. degree.

To find out more, contact the Physical Therapy Department today.


For practicing physical therapists with a U.S. or Canadian license, UM-Flint's Online Post-Professional t-DPT program is designed to advance your career to the doctoral level and to provide opportunity and challenge to enhance your professional competence and career marketability.  In the t-DPT program ALL courses are offered online, making it a flexible and easy way to move forward.


The University of Michigan-Flint Clinical Physical Therapy Certificate program offers practicing DPT's an opportunity to complete a Residency and prepare to become an ABPTS Board Certified Specialist in orthopedics (OCS), geriatrics (GCS), neurology (NCS), pediatrics (PCS), or cardiopulmonary physical therapy (CCS).