Please note the following update: There are currently five required SAT courses for the minor. SAT 430 is offered infrequently as an elective.
Substance Abuse Treatment Minor
Whether you decide to be a teacher, nurse, mental health clinician, psychologist, criminal justice professional, or social worker you can count on working with issues caused directly, or indirectly, from substance abuse. We developed this minor to prepare you for the State of Michigan's Certified Addictions Counselor certification. This minor is taught completely online, which allows for flexibility around your class or work schedule. Classes are offered online (5 classes) and over three semesters with two classes in the Fall semester, two classes in the Winter semester, and one class in the Spring semester. If you want a minor that leaves you with something real to give back to the world, consider our substance abuse treatment courses!
This minor is organized to completment any concentration, for preparation for entry level practice in the field of substance abuse treatment and to provide an additional certification for those who have already graduated and/ or are interested in substance abuse treatment and prevention.
- SAT 202 - Problems of Substance Abuse
- SAT 203 - Ethics, Legal and Consumer Rights
- SAT 220 - Screening, Assessment and Referral
- SAT 305 - Child and Family Intervention
- SAT 306 - Community Intervention
- SAT 320 - Substance Abuse Theory, Treatment and Special Populations
- SAT 330 - Substance Abuse Treatment and the Dual Disorder Community
- SAT 335 - Motivation for Change
- SAT 340 - Intervention Strategies and Methods in Substance Abuse
- SAT 345 - Social Prevention of Substance Abuse
- SAT 350 - Substance Use Treatment for the Individual
- SAT 355 - Substance Use Treatment and Interventions in Group Settings
- SAT 360 - Integrated Field Seminar
- SAT 430 - Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
- SAT 450 - Case Management in Human Services l
- SAT 451 - Case Management in Human Services ll
- SAT 460 - Field Placement l
- SAT 461 - Field Placement ll
- SAT 490 - Integrative Seminar in Substance Use Treatment and Intervention