Exchange Programs

International exchange programs offer current UM-Flint students the opportunity to study in a foreign country for a semester or academic year while receiving credits towards their UM-Flint degree.  As an exchange student, you’ll register for courses at UM-Flint, pay UM-Flint tuition/fees, and take classes at one of our partner institutions abroad.  Because you remain a registered UM-Flint student during your time abroad, your financial aid, loans, and scholarships can be used, making this an affordable way to gain valuable international experience and get truly immersed in another culture. 


Frequently Asked Questions about Exchange Programs


Who can participate in exchange programs?

The eligibility requirements for SOM exchange programs include:

  • 2.5 GPA minimum (2.8 GPA for ESCEM, France)
  • Must have complete at least two major terms prior to applying
  • Must meet with the academic coordinator of the program and be nominated


Where can I study abroad as an exchange student?

The School of Management has partnerships with universities in Belgium, Croatia, France, Germany, Turkey, Taiwan, Poland, Romania, and Sweden.  For complete program information in each location, click here.


What types of courses are offered at partner institutions?

A variety of courses are offered to exchange students.  Courses are available at the undergraduate and graduate level and vary by institution.  Many courses are taught in English.  Students with advanced foreign language skills may have additional course options in the host country’s language.


University Description Undergraduate Graduate Website
Alexandru Ioan Cuza University (AICU) in Iaşi, Romania Financial Management; Consumer Behavior; Corporate Social Responsibility View complete list of undergraduate courses View complete list of graduate courses Visit 
Hasselt University (HU) in Hasselt, Belgium Financial Accounting; Marketing; E-Business Strategy     Visit
École Supérieure de Commerce et Management (ESCEM) in Poitiers, France European Business Studies; Management and Marketing; International Business Negotiations View complete list of undergraduate courses offered View complete list of graduate courses offered Visit
Kadir Has University (KHAS) in Istanbul, Turkey International Business; Marketing Strategy; Sports Management View complete list   Visit
National Taiwan Normal University in Taipei, Taiwan Management; Global Business and Strategy; Mandarin Chinese View complete list   Visit
Kozminski University (KU) in Warsaw, Poland Social Media – Business Case Studies; Entrepreneurial Business Development; Cross Cultural Management View complete list   Visit
Romanian-American University in Bucharest, Romania World Economics; Fundamentals of Accounting; International Investments View complete list   Visit
University of Gothenburg (UG) in Gothenburg, Sweden Corporate Finance; International Economics and Financial Markets; Entrepreneurship and New Business Development View complete list   Visit
University of Wuppertal in Wuppertal, Germany Strategic Service Management; International Macroeconomics and Globalization; Communication across Cultures View Complete List   Visit
Zagreb School of Economics and Management in Zagreb, Croatia E-marketing; International Management; Entrepreneurship View complete list   Visit


SOM students may also participate in a 6-week internship program which includes cultural trips and lectures at Bergiche Universität Wuppertal. Contact Dr. Yener Kandogan for more information.​​​​​​​

What kind of credits do I earn at UM-Flint for these courses?

You will earn credits toward your business degree.  Before you go, you are required to work with a SOM faculty advisor to determine which course requirements you plan to fulfill abroad.  The faculty advisor will provide instructions on how to register for the appropriate UM-Flint course(s) in SIS for the semester abroad.  When you return, you will meet with your advisor to receive the appropriate course equivalencies. 


How much will it cost?

Because you are paying tuition/fees at UM-Flint just as normally would for any on-campus coursework, the difference in expenses for exchange programs is often minimal. In some cases, the semester you spend abroad during your exchange program may cost you less than a semester here! This is because the living expenses—housing, meals, transportation, etc.—of some locations abroad are lower than that of Michigan.


Can I apply for scholarships or other forms of funding support?

Yes! If you are eligible for financial aid, you may be able to use financial aid to help pay for the exchange program. In addition, the School of Management offers scholarships to business students participating in exchange programs. You will find that some partner institutions also offer scholarships to UM-Flint students who study at their school.


Undergraduate US citizens who are receiving Federal Pell grant funding may be eligible for the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship. Students studying abroad in Croatia, Romania, Taiwan, Turkey, or Poland may also apply for the Boren Award for International Study.

As you can see, there are many of ways to pay for your program. The key is to plan early and apply to multiple resources.



I’m interested! Where do I begin?

Great! Here are your next steps:

1. Make sure you are aware of the application deadlines for exchange programs:

  • Winter programs deadline: October 15
  • Fall or Academic Year Program deadline: April 15

2. Visit M-Flint Worldlink and select a program.

3. Contact the specified academic coordinator to review course options and complete an Off-Campus Experience Course Approval Form.

If you are approved, you will be nominated for the program and can complete an application.


For general questions about exchange programs, contact the Education Abroad Office at