Registered Marks & Licensing
University logos are registered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office. Actual approved trademark images should be requested through University Relations.
Using Trademarks for Official University Business*
- No prior approval is necessary for the use of UM-Flint logos for official business of the university or a school, college, center, auxiliary unit, or other department. Acceptable uses include:
- Stationery, business cards, and other materials used in the ordinary course of doing business
- Official University publications, including electronic publications
- Journals (printed or digital) published by the university, school, college, institute, or department, or where the unit has sole editorial control
- Course materials
- Identification of university-owned and -operated broadcast media organizations
IMPORTANT: All University of Michigan logos must be accompanied by the Registered Trademark symbol ( ® ).
- * “Official University Business” is defined as:
- Events sponsored by the university
- The identification of university programs, schools, college, centers, departments, or units when acting in their official capacity on behalf of the university
- Activities conducted in the regular course of business and which represent the university in an official capacity
The primary purpose of the University Seal is to certify official university documents, including diplomas, certificates, and official acts by the Board of Regents. The University Seal should NOT be used as a substitute for university logos. It should be used primarily for regental and presidential purposes only.
Students are prohibited from using the University Seal on their personal printed materials, including dissertations, or to signify student events.
All final authority for the use of the University Seal resides in the Office of the Vice President and Secretary of the University of Michigan. Contact University Relations for more information.