UM-Flint Web Site Content Management System (CMS)
Checklist for Department Sites
Last Updated July 10, 2007
· The CMS Web Guide is located at http://www.umflint.edu/webguide/
· Login to the CMS at http://cms.umflint.edu/
· The test site is located at http://184.108.40.206/
· Basic steps for creating your site:
1. Edit your Home page (index.htm). Add content block(s). Add sidebar(s). Generate the web page (the data is saved automatically when you
2. Create subpages for the web site.
a. For each subpage, use File > New Form Entry > Generic
b. Enter page title, navigation title (if different (shorter) from page title), browse to the parent page. Add content block(s). Add sidebar(s)
c. Save the data (xml format) for the form entry, using proper naming conventions (short file name, no spaces or characters other than the dash or underscore, no extension required). You may need to browse to the folder if you created folders within templatedata > generic > data to match the folder structure in your department folder.
d. Preview as often as you wish (each time you preview, the system automatically saves the data file behind the scenes).
e. Generate the web page (.htm). You will need to browse to your department folder, and then within any folders if you created a special folder structure for your site. Type the same name as when saving the data form entry (using proper naming conventions as noted above—the system will add the “.htm”)
f. When adding a new page, Regenerate the navigation.inc file (located inside the includes folder) by putting a check next to it and choosing Actions > Regenerate Page.
3. While in test, submit everything to Staging by clicking on the content folder, then putting a check next to both your department and the templatedata folders, then click Submit , then Run Job . Anytime an edit is made to a page, regenerate the page, and submit everything to Staging.
4. Once your site is live, if you are developing a page that shouldn’t be live, don’t include it in the site navigation (leave the Parent Page text box blank on the data entry form) and don’t link the page on other pages. Once you are ready for that page to go live, edit the page, browse to the parent page to add it to the navigation, generate the web page, regenerate the navigation.inc file and submit everything to Staging.
Complete details are available in the online Webguide (printable format available).