Working with Responses
When you first log into FormAssembly (see "Getting Started") there will be five tabs available (see image below). While building and editing your forms you will work primarily in the "My Forms" tab. Once you have published your form and want to begin reviewing responses you will need to click on the "My Responses" tab.
Click on the "My Responses" tab at the top and you are ready to begin following the directions contained on this page. The sections that follow refer to the tabs shown below (which should appear on your screen when you click "My Responses"):
This tab provides you with options to view responses to your form(s) in FormAssembly.
- Report: Select an option from the drop-down menu to manage which form's responses are displayed. By default the responses for all forms are shown initially. You can use the date field underneath the drop-down menu to narrow the number of responses by when they were submitted.
Some statistics are displayed on the Responses tab. These include the total number of responses (Responses), the average time it took each user to complete their form (Average Completion Time), and the number of users that did not complete the form after clicking on the link (Drop-Out Rate).
To view an individual response click on the date received under the response listing. The full response will appear on the right side of your screen.
The My Forms tab can be used as an alternative way to view the My Responses tab.
Editing a Response:
You can edit a response after the user has submitted it. To edit a response follow these steps:
- From the "My Responses" tab select the "Responses" tab.
- On the "Responses" tab select the response you wish to edit by clicking on the "Date Received".
- Click on the "Edit" button - in the upper right corner of the detailed response view.
- You will be taken to the form with the selected response's answers already filled in. Edit the response as needed and click submit to save the changes.
You can click on the "Show metadata" link at the bottom of the detailed response view to see additional information such as: the exact time of submission, the IP address of the user, how the user found the form (Referrer), completion time, and the revision of the form the user completed.
You can click on "Show Notes" to write a note to yourself about this particular response. Make sure you click "Save Notes" when you are finished entering your comment.
When you provide users with an option to save their work and complete the form later (see the section on Display & Processing) you may see entries showing up under the "Incomplete" tab. These are responses that users have saved, but have not yet come back to complete and submit. Once you select an incomplete response by clicking on the "Date Received" you have three options:
- Send reminder: You may send an email reminder to the user notifying them that their reponse is not yet finished by clicking on "Send reminder". Once you click the link you will be able to modify the email message.
- Reset password: If the user forgot the password they used to save their data you may reset it for them. Click the "Reset Password" link and then "Send Password" on the next page to email a randomly generated password to the email account the user entered to save the information.
- Finalize this response: If the majority of the information has been completed, and you would like to move the response to the "Responses" tab simply click the "Finalize this response" link. Please note: once the response is finalized the user will be unable to come back and edit it!
If your form contains all multiple choice questions you can click on the "Aggregate View" tab to generate tables and charts of the data. Follow the steps below to view the aggregate information:
- Click on the "My Responses" tab.
- Click on the "Aggregate View" tab.
- Select the desired form from the drop down list.
- The charts/graphs will appear. For large sets of information it may take a short time for the data to be generated.
A graph will also display that shows the number of responses received and how they fell (on what day). See images below to see the kind of charts/tables generated by the Aggregate View.
If you need to be able to manipulate your response data from FormAssembly to generate personalized reports it may be useful to export the data. Before exporting your data please keep in mind Ann Arbor's recommendations for protecting personal information. Follow the steps below to export your data:
- Log into FormAssembly.
- Click on the "My Reponses" tab.
- Click on the "Export" tab (it will appear on the left hand side of your screen beneath the series of tabs that contain "My Responses").
- Select the form for which you would like to export data from the dropdown under "Report:".
- If desired, select the applicable dates for which you would like data exported.
- Select the file format for the exported results (if you wish to work with the information in Excel make sure you choose CSV).
- Click "Export".
- A pop-up will appear asking you where the file should be saved. Click "Save" and select the desired location for the file.