What is a Sidebar Include?
A sidebar include is a group of links that can be included on any page created in your TeamSite. This feature is particularly useful if you would like to include a right-hand navigational area for a sub-part of your TeamSite. For example, the list of links to other "Instructional Documents" listed on the right side of this page is a sidebar include. It may be included on many pages in the webguide, but it only needs to be changed in once place.
Sidebar includes ensure that lists of links are consistent, and makes it very simple to update.
How to Create a Sidebar Include
- After logging into the CMS, click on "File" and then "New Form Entry".
- From the window that appears, select "sidebar_include", and press "Next".
- Create the content that you would like included on the right side. Keep in mind that you can't pick and choose later, so if you don't want it on every page that has this particular sidebar on it, don't include it. Press the "+" button on the right side to add a new sidebar element.
- You can include multiple sidebar elements (if desired) by clicking on the "+" button again and selecting any additional elements. Fill in the required information for all sidebar elements (those items marked with a "*"), and press the button.
- First you will be prompted to save the data form for the sidebar. Save it in the default location, with the desired name.
- Once you press "OK" you will be prompted to save the document as a webpage. Select the proper folder within your TeamSite using the "Browse" feature (see below image), enter a file name, and press "OK". **Note** To keep your TeamSite organized, you should save all sidebar includes in the "includes" folder.
- Press "OK" a second time to finalize the save. A preview of the sidebar include should now pop up.
How to Include an Already Created Sidebar
Once you have created a sidebar it's easy to include on as many pages as needed.
- Create a new page, or edit an existing one.
- Scroll to the bottom of the editing window to the area that says "Sidebar". Press the "+" button. Select "sidebar_include" from the list of options.
- When the new Sidebar Include window is displayed, use the "Browse" button to navigate to the spot where you saved the sidebar include, or type in the address.
- Once you have selected your sidebar file, and the address is displayed, you're finished! Press "Finish" on the edit page, click "Yes" when asked if you would like to regenerate the page, and check out your new sidebar include when the preview window pops up.