The Women’s Educational Center (WEC) is a department at the University of Michigan-Flint that works to:
- Support women (students, faculty, and staff) as they fulfill their educational and career goals
- referrals to university and community resources
- workshops that provide information and encourage skill development
- support for students returning to school (women and men)
- advise student organization—Voices for Women on Campus
- Raise awareness about women’s issues (relationship violence, sexual assault, child care, pay gap, sexuality and reproductive rights, body image and eating disorders, women’s participation in decision-making positions/leadership). This includes monitoring the status of women on campus, and advocating for practices and policies that promote equal participation.
- Advocate for and support individuals of all genders working together to challenge attitudes and social constructs that promote unequal treatment based on gender, race, sexual orientation, etc.
The WEC is open to all students, faculty and staff on campus, as well as to members of the surrounding community.