What do I do if I have been sexually assaulted?

If you are a survivor of sexual assault, remember that you are not alone. Find as safe space and contact someone for support.

  • Contact the Women’s Educational Center to speak with an advocate.

    During regular business hours 8:00 a.m.- 5:30 p.m.:
    contact the Women’s Educational Center at (810) 237-6648 or visit 359 UCEN.

    After regular business hours and on weekends:
    Residential students and their guests: WEC Advocate may be contacted through the Resident Advisor or Hall Director

    Non-residential students: WEC Advocate may be contacted by calling the Department of Public Safety at 762-3333. They will connect you with an advocate. Note: The caller does not need to provide a reason for contacting the advocate, nor does calling the advocate obligate the survivor to file a police report.

    WEC Advocates are trained to support sexual assault survivors and can assist with the initial coordination of on and off-campus resources and services. The WEC Advocates are prepared to discuss options and alternatives, help identify the most appropriate resources, and answer any questions that may arise.

  • Speak with your RA/Hall Director if you are a residential student.
  • Seek Medical Attention
    Medical care will help in your physical healing, can prevent pregnancy, and may be useful for evidentiary purposes during legal action or investigation. Seeking medical care or evidence collection does not commit a person to taking legal action. Some things to know: drugs and evidence are retrievable typically within the first 72 hours; you should not bathe, douche, or brush your teeth; and, save unwashed clothing in a PAPER (not plastic) bag.
  • Meet with a counselor– UM-Flint Student Development Center: (810) 762-3456.
  • Call the YWCA of Greater Flint Crisis Line (24 hours): (810) 238-SAFE.
  • Exercise the option of filing a formal report with the Department of Public Safety, 762-3333. You have the right to have an advocate, friend or family member present with you for support.
  • Complete an on-line, anonymous report on the Women’s Educational Center website www.umflint.edu/wec/