Dual Enrollees

Looking for a way to challenge yourself and get ahead? Attending the University of Michigan–Flint as a dual-enrolled student while you are still in high school may be a great option!

The University of Michigan-Flint offers four pathways through which students may pursue college level coursework while completing high school:

  • Standard Dual Enrollment: Standard dual enrollment is an excellent opportunity for students from local schools looking supplement their high school experience with more challenging, college-level courses. Outstanding high school students may enroll in the University of Michigan–Flint for part-time study while finishing their high school graduation requirements. Students must have a 3.2 recalculated grade point average in high school academic subjects in the 9th, 10th, and 11th grades. Your high school may also have additional requirements. Qualified sophomores and juniors may also be considered for admission.
  • Dual Enrollment Educational Partnerships (DEEP): DEEP programs are cohort-style dual enrollment programs that range from 6-14 credit hours over an academic year. These programs are created in collaboration with a number of partnering school systems. Students must be enrolled at one of these partnering schools in order to participate in a DEEP program. Students apply for DEEP programs with the coordination of their high school guidance office. A complete list of DEEP programs and schools can be found at http://www.umflint.edu/k12/deep-program.
  • Genesee Early College (GEC): The GEC is an intensive five year high school program that combines the best elements of the high school and early university experience. Students must presently be enrolled as a GEC high school student In order to dual enroll through this option. For more information, visit http://www.umflint.edu/k12/genesee-early-college
  • Grand Blanc Early College (GBEC): The GBEC is an intensive three year high school program for students from Grand Blanc Community Schools that combines the best elements of the high school and early university experience. Students must work with their high school counselor to apply for this program. For more information on this program, visit http://www.umflint.edu/k12/grand-blanc-early-college

Steps to Standard Dual Enrollment

  1. First, check your school district's policies regarding dual enrollment with your high school counselor.
  2. Ask your counselor if you are eligible for tuition reimbursement through your high school. Tuition reimbursement from your school district is not required to attend classes at UM-Flint as a dual-enrollee. You can cover your own tuition costs if you are admitted as a dual enrolled student.
  3. Work with your high school guidance counselor to make sure that the college courses you plan to take do not conflict with your high school courses, employment, and extracurricular activities.
  4. An exceptional grade point average is required to be considered for dual enrollment admission. You must have a GPA of 3.2 or higher.
  5. Complete an application (choose standard dual enrollment in the section titled DUAL ENROLLMENT OPTIONS) and turn it in to your high school counselor to be submitted to us with your official transcripts.
  6. You will receive a letter from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions notifying you of your acceptance. You can receive your student ID and parking pass in the University Pavilion during the first week of classes. (If you have registered for Math 111 or English 111, you will need to contact the Academic Advising and Career Center to schedule an appointment to complete your placement.)
  7. Once you’ve completed your first semester, your grades will be sent to your high school. These grades will begin your college record and will stay with you for the duration of your college career.
  8. If you plan to continue as a dual-enrolled student, you will need to complete an application for each semester you would like to attend.
  9. If you would like to continue your college career at UM–Flint after you graduate, you are encouraged to apply for freshman admission.