pathway to completion

Let’s Finish What You Started.

You are not alone. People just like you have to stop pursuing their educational goals for a variety of reasons. The demands of a family. Work obligations. Financial constraints. Whatever your reason, the University of Michigan-Flint is here to help you get back on track and earn your bachelor’s degree.

Program Criteria
We know you have what it takes to earn your U-M bachelor’s degree at the University of Michigan-Flint. Our new Pathway to Completion Program (PTC) is designed for students like you who meet the following criteria:

  • Students who have previously attended UM-Flint must be within 30 credits of graduation and must not have enrolled in any classes for at least a year prior to re-enrolling.
  • Non-UM-Flint students must have attended a regionally accredited college or university and be within 30 semester credits of graduation.
  • All students must have a minimum cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.4 or above.
  • Students must be pursuing their first bachelor’s degree.
  • Students must be making Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) towards their degree. Students not making Satisfactory of Academic Progress (SAP) towards their degree are encourage to file a SAP Appeal.

You must complete the Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA) for the 2020-2021 and/or 2021-22 academic years (depending on your entry term). Students entering for Spring or Summer 2021 must have the 2020-21 FAFSA on file. Those entering for Fall 2021 must complete the 2021-22 FAFSA. UM-Flint’s federal school code is 002327.

*Financial Aid eligibility will be determined prior to entrance into the program.

  • You must continue your pathway to completion based upon the academic program of interest indicated on your most recently attended institution. Major changes will be reviewed on a case by case basis. To be approved, a new major must be able to be completed within 30 credit hours.
  • You have not graduated from another four-year college or university (including UM-Flint).
  • Applicants should review their Federal Pell and Direct Loan remaining eligibility before applying for this program. The PTC grant assists with up to 15 credits and applicants may need to rely on Pell Grant or Direct Loans to complete, along with any other aid programs the applicant may qualify for. Visit and login or create an account to see your dashboard utilized Pell and student loans.
  • The PTC grant will pay for up to 15 credits as a last dollar award (after all other scholarships and grants are applied). Students are responsible for tuition and fees for any additional credits. Once 15 credits have been attempted, the PTC grant will no longer be available to the recipient.
  • Applicants should review their remaining Federal Pell Grant and Direct Loan eligibility before applying to this program. 
  • Students must be continuously enrolled, with the exception of spring and summer semesters, in order to maintain PTC eligibility. 

Students participating in the PTC grant program prior to Spring 2021 will be granted an additional six (6) credits as a last-dollar award.

Get Started

Fill out this form to join the PTC program.

After we contact you, our expert advisors will work with you on an academic plan that will help you achieve your degree at a speed that works for you. Whether you sign on to go part-time or full-time, we will find a plan that makes sense for you. 

The PTC is also giving you credit for having part of your degree done. As part of this program, you will receive up to 15 credits at in-state tuition at no charge to you. This move gives you a financial incentive to join the program today and take advantage of this special opportunity.

Answers to Your Questions

If you’re still wondering if this program is right for you, consider your earning potential. According to statistics, the cost of dropping out of college can be measured in lost earnings. Each year, people like you lose a combined $3.8 billion nationally in lost earnings. 

You have a chance to take control of your financial future through education. You need answers to your questions. Read our FAQs below about the Pathway to Completion program. 

Plus, to help guide you through the process, we have expert advisors who are ready to work with you on your re-entry plan for UM-Flint.  This is a big decision for you. We are here for you. 

What expenses does the Pathway to Completion Grant cover?
With the generous support from the Mott Foundation, returning students will receive up to 15 credit hours of in-state tuition at no charge to help complete their degree at UM-Flint. Though it is not a requirement, students are encouraged to attend full-time (12+ credits/semester) in anticipation of earning their Michigan degree in a timely manner.

What if I cannot attend classes as a full-time student and need to attend part-time (fewer than 12 credits per semester)? Am I still eligible to participate in the Pathway to Completion Grant?
UM-Flint understands that students’ schedules are busy. The university is willing to accommodate those students who need to attend part-time. part-time is defined as a student who is taking no less than six credit hours per semester. You must take at least six credits per semester (excluding spring and summer) to qualify for the PTC grant. Academic advisors will help students keep track of their graduation requirements; Financial Aid will help students keep track of their grant funding monies if the need arises to split the funding between multiple semesters.

What do I need to do to be admitted to UM-Flint?
Former UM-Flint students who are interested in re-enrolling coming back to UM-Flint to earn their U-M degree will need to apply as a returning student. The application is free and can be completed online. The Returning Student application will capture any new information and allow a seamless transition. If you have attended any college or university since leaving UM-Flint, you must submit transcripts from those institutions. Any student wishing to return must also submit a FAFSA to Financial Aid (use UM-Flint’s code 002327).

Students transferring from another college or university should complete our online application and submit transcripts from all other colleges or universities they have attended.

All applicants must also submit a FAFSA to Financial Aid.  (use UM-Flint’s code is 002327).

What items do I need to submit with my Readmit Application?
Students must submit all college transcripts from coursework completed since leaving UM-Flint. Our team will carefully review your credits to determine the maximum amount that can be transferred, depending on your major. During the COVID crisis, the university is working closely with students by accepting unofficial transcripts until official transcripts are available.

What if I have questions about my financial aid status, whom should I contact?
The Office of Financial Aid is available to help answer any questions students may have about aid. Phone and virtual appointments are available. The office can be reached at You may also request a virtual appointment.

Whom should I contact if I have questions about how to get started?
The Office of Undergraduate Admissions is available to answer questions and guide you through the readmission process. The office can be reached at (810) 762-3300 or

Blue For You Empowering Your Future

UM-Flint is committed to helping students earn their degree. Blue For You connects students to amazing scholarships, grants and resources that make a difference. Explore all the ways Blue For You provides outstanding support.

Annual Security & Fire Safety Notice
The University of Michigan-Flint’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report (ASR-AFSR) is available online at The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report includes Clery Act crime and fire statistics for the preceding three years for locations owned and or controlled by UM-Flint, the required policy disclosure statements and other important safety-related information. A paper copy of the ASR-AFSR is available on request made to Department of Public Safety by calling (810) 762-3330, by email to or in person at DPS at the Hubbard Building at 602 Mill Street; Flint, MI 48502.