Become a Student Ambassador
University Advancement (UA) is establishing a Student Ambassador Program to assist with the execution of major events throughout the year. Members of this elite, volunteer student group serve in an official capacity and act as a first point of contact at programs and events hosted by UA. Students selected to represent University Advancement in this capacity will gain exposure to unique leadership, networking, and professional development opportunities.
About University Advancement:
University Advancement’s primary role is to strengthen the campus’s ability to make meaningful connections with each and every member of the university community. Connecting students, alumni, parents and friends, corporations and foundations, faculty and staff. UA integrates development, alumni relations, career services and government relations to build a culture of engagement and philanthropy within the UM-Flint community.
What does a Student Ambassador do?
- Greet and usher guests attending various programs and events, e.g., career fairs, alumni reunions, scholarship events, and VIP receptions/dinners.
- Assist UA staff with duties and tasks related to preparing for special occasions, e.g., banquets, seasonal events such as football tailgate and watch parties.
- Interact with guests attending University Advancement events.
- Promote University Advancement events to current UM-Flint students when appropriate, e.g., Giving Blueday.
What are the benefits of becoming a Student Ambassador?
As a Student Ambassador you will develop a wide range of transferable skills that will benefit you well into the future. Employers, graduate, and professional schools are looking for more than just good grades; they want to see campus involvement and service! You will gain valuable skills to strengthen your résumé. Most importantly, Student Ambassadors will have the opportunity to earn professional letters of recommendation, make connections both on and off campus, and fine tune leadership and communication skills – all highly sought after by today’s employers. Additionally, Student Ambassador volunteer hours can be counted toward Commitment to Service (CTS) requirements.
What is required of a Student Ambassador?
- Must be a currently enrolled UM-Flint student, and maintain enrollment while an Ambassador (excluding spring/summer semesters).
- Must maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.75 for the duration of service to the program.
- Position requires a commitment of one academic year (fall and winter semesters).
- Must demonstrate strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Leadership, initiative, dependability, discipline, and enthusiasm are required.
What are my obligations as an Ambassador?
- Required attendance at a 1 hour training session.
- Participation in a minimum of 10 hours of University Advancement activities per year (fall and winter semesters combined).
- Maintain enrollment during fall and winter semesters while serving as an Ambassador.
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.75 for the duration of service to the program.
- Student Ambassador attire is to be worn at all events being worked. Attire will be provided by University Advancement.
Student Ambassadors . . .
- Are positive
- Excel at communicating and listening
- Practice excellent customer service
- Exercise good judgment
- Are open to learning and personal growth
- Proudly represent the University of Michigan-Flint and all University of Michigan affiliations
For questions or more information contact:
Mary Jo Sekelsky
810-762-3043 or firstname.lastname@example.org