Event Planning for University Departments & Recognized Student Organizations


Harding Mott University Center

  • Michigan Rooms
  • Happenings Room
  • Kiva Auditorium
  • Alumni Conference Room
  • Superior Conference Room
  • Loving Lounge
  • Distribution Tables

Northbank Center

  • Grand Ballroom
  • Park Place
  • Boardwalk
  • Carriage Room
  • Conference Room #701

Outdoor Locations

  • McKinnon Plaza
  • Willson Park
  • UCEN North Lawn
  • UPAV South Lawn
  • WSW Lawn
  • UPAV Outdoor Rink
  • Parking Lots/Ramps

Riverfront Conference Center

  • Conference Center
    • Expo Center
    • Suites
  • Boardrooms
  • Classrooms

University Pavilion

  • Genesee Room
  • Shiawassee Conference Room
  • Lapeer Conference Room
  • Distribution Tables

William S. White Building

  • Tuscola Room
  • C.S. Mott Foundation Conference Room
  • Huron Conference Room
  • Distribution Tables
  • Classrooms

For availability and rental rates for the locations above, please submit a reservation request.

Recreation Center
For availability and rental rates, please contact the Recreation Center.

University Theatre
For availability and rental rates, please contact the University Theatre.

General Guidelines

  • Facilities are reserved in the order in which requests are received, with consideration given to the size of the group and available space.
  • All rates, when applicable, are based on a minimum of 4 hours of usage with a per hour rate for additional usage per day. This includes any setup and teardown time needed for your event.
  • Events scheduled after midnight will be assessed additional staffing fees.
  • Events wishing to be scheduled during normally closed periods must be discussed minimally 2 weeks in advance with CAE.
  • Person making the reservation or contact person and their representatives must abide by all university and CAE policies, regulations, guidelines, and all local, state and federal laws.
  • Willful or careless damage to university property or equipment shall necessitate a replacement and/or repair charge. The user is responsible for the actions of all participants.
  • CAE reserves the right to make exceptions and/or additions to any reservation policy.
  • A representative of the group must be present and remain on-site during the pre-arranged times outlined on the confirmation. Overtime charges may be assessed when individuals remain in the facilities beyond the pre-arranged times.
  • All facilities and grounds of the UM-Flint campus are smoke free.
  • Departments and student organizations, who violate any part of the event planning guidelines, may be sanctioned up to and including loss of scheduling privileges.
  • All student government election events must be booked by Student Involvement & Leadership.
  • CAE easels are for events only and cannot be used outside of event spaces.
  • Gaming Events and Raffles
  • Smoke Free Campus

Scheduling & Room Set Up Information

  • Request for event space can be made online by completing the reservation request form.
  • Requests for one-time use of classrooms can be made by contacting CAE. Classroom requests cannot be confirmed until two weeks after the start of the semester.
  • Users may only use rooms they have reserved and after a confirmation has been received. A confirmation is provided with every confirmed reservation. It is the responsibility of the contact person to review the confirmation for accuracy. 
  • Events involving arts and crafts may only be scheduled in approved spaces.
  • Reservations for special events (banquets, dances, etc.) with attendance of 100 or more must be confirmed no less than 7 days prior to the event. Events with large attendance (over 100) or with non-standard arrangements will require a planning meeting with a CAE staff member. Room setup details for these events must be established at least seven days prior to the event.
  • Room setup details for any events that are coordinated with CAE with less than 48 hours notice will be assessed a minimum $25 late fee. 
  • Equipment and/or audio visual equipment added or changed less than 48 hours before the scheduled start time of an event will be subject to additional set up charges.
  • Any equipment that is delivered to spaces other than CAE designated spaces will be charged an additional fee.
  • A timeline of set up and teardown time including vendors and caterers must be given to CAE at least 14 days in advance.
  • Any event on a special day or holiday weekend will be charged a premium room rental rate.
  • Any event with distribution tables or vendor booths, a list of vendors and what they will be selling must be given to CAE in advance.

University Departments

  • Departments are required to provide a shortcode when booking an event.
  • By submitting your request for service, you agree that you have obtained the required permission and authorization to use the chartfield/shortcode for billing purposes. If you are unsure of your authorization, please check with your dean or director prior to placing your request for service.
  • Departments may schedule events up to two years in advance. Any requests that go beyond two years must receive approval from CAE before the space is reserved.

Recognized Student Organization (RSO)

  • Recognized Student Organizations are made up of all student organizations on campus. They are broken down into Sponsored Student Organizations (SSO) and Voluntary Student Organizations (VSO). Sponsored Student Organizations are registered student organizations that have a significant relationship with the Department of Student Involvement and Leadership (SIL) which provides them with an operating budget, staff advisor, logo use and office space. Voluntary Student Organizations make up the majority of registered student organizations on campus and include all organizations that are not SSOs.
  • RSOs must be approved and registered with the Office of Student Involvement & Leadership (SIL). SIL provides CAE with a list of up to 3 authorized signers for each RSO. Those authorized signers will be required to complete an CAE orientation prior to making any reservations.  
  • Only approved signers can book events. VSO advisors cannot book events for VSOs.
  • RSOs must have an active account through SIL with adequate funds to cover event expenses. It is the responsibility of the RSO to provide SIL with a copy of their confirmation prior to the date of the event.
  • For events determined to be of higher risk, the RSOs must provide to the university a certificate of insurance evidencing general liability insurance ($1 million per occurrence/$2 million annual aggregate) and naming the “Regents of the University of Michigan” as additional insured. Examples of higher risk events are organized races or walks through campus, inflatable activities, and other events where injuries are more likely to occur.

Event Rate

Recognized Student Organizations (RSO) and university departments may schedule and use certain space free of charge if all of the following criteria are met:

  • The university department or RSO is the sole sponsor and host of the event.
  • There is no revenue generated or fees involved or when all revenue is donated to one or more scholarships or charities or the event is a fundraiser where all revenue goes to the RSO.
  • The event will support the mission of the university department or RSO.
  • The event is not held in the NBC Grand Ballroom or the Riverfront Conference Center. Current room rental rates for departments and RSO’s will apply.

Charity Drives

The University Center does not allow money collections and will not assume liability for items stolen from drop boxes. Drop boxes must be neat in appearance with their function and the sponsoring organization clearly stated. Pick-ups occur regularly so as to minimize theft and prevent overflow. Charity Drives may last a maximum of two weeks.


  • 48 hours advance notice is required to cancel a reserved space. Cancellations made less than 48 hours will result in a fee of $25 per room.
  • If cancellation occurs after a multi-function space has been set (Grand Ballroom, Happenings, Kiva, Lobbies, Michigan Rooms, Park Place, Saginaw Room, Room 701, Tuscola Rooms, etc.), a minimum fee of $25 per room will be assessed.
  • Cancellations must be made by emailing or calling CAE. CAE will send a confirmation of cancellation.

No Shows

  • “No Show” is when space is reserved and the group does not meet and the room is not cancelled per the cancellation guidelines.
  • If a “no show” occurs the following fees will apply:
  • One or two occurrences in a semester, a minimum fee of $25 per room will be assessed.
  • Three or four occurrences in a semester, a minimum fee of $50 per room will be assessed.
  • Five or more occurrences in a semester, a minimum fee of $75 per room will be assessed.

Room Cleaning & Condition

  • The group is responsible for removing their items upon completion of their event. A $50 fee will be assessed to any event that items are stored without CAE prior approval.   
  • A minimum of $200 per event space will be charged for event spaces requiring beyond normal cleaning time and/or equipment being moved from its normal location.
  • Additional trash cans can be made available upon request.

Audio/Visual Equipment

  • A/V equipment requests are subject to availability.
  • A/V requests should be made a minimum of 48 hours in advance of the event. 
  • CAE may refer departments to external vendors based on A/V needs and requirements.
  • CAE A/V equipment used outside designated conference spaces will require staff to deliver and recover. The user will be responsible for delivery charges and a possible per-hour fee for staffing when necessary.
  • An A/V technician must be requested at least 2 weeks in advance

Is an A/V Tech required for my event?

1 Corded Mic1 Cordless MicAux + No Mics1 Cordless Mic + Aux1 Corded Mic + Aux>1 Mic (any kind)>1 Mic (any kind) + Aux
MI Rooms, Happenings, Kivanonononono**yes***yes***
Tuscola, Park Placeno*yes*no**yes*no*yes*yes*
Riverfront, NBC Ballroomno*no*no*yes*yes*yes*yes*
Clint’s Cafe/other non CAE spacesno*yes*no*yes*yes*yes*yes*

*Portable sound system needed
**Portable sound system needed if sound is not going through a smart cart
***Portable sound system needed in Happenings Room or more than 3 mics in MI Rooms

Aux. is any other line of sound besides a microphone (computer, laptop, Ipad, phone, etc.)
A/V Tech fee is $30 per hour, per tech, including setup and teardown time

Distribution Tables/Material & Product Distribution

  • Solicitation of any kind, for any purpose, is not permitted within the buildings of UM-Flint. Examples of solicitation would include, but is not limited to, the distribution of sample products handing out marketing materials (except handbills approved by SIL), asking for petition signatures, and other similar activities.
  • For permission to solicit for any purpose outside on the UM-Flint campus, contact the Department of Public Safety to seek permission.
  • Tables must be staffed by the student organization or department.
  • Approaching passerby or other active solicitation is strictly forbidden. Users must remain behind their tables.
  • Products and/or materials may be distributed from reserved tables; however it must not conflict with campus policy. CAE must approve goods and services that are to be sold or distributed. No products or services may be sold or distributed which duplicates or is similar to those sold by any on-site business operation. CAE will make the determination if there is a conflict.


The UCEN and the UPAV are considered food service locations. Animals and pets prohibited to be in these buildings without permission from CAE in advance of an event. Service animals are permitted. Service animals must be certified and have the proper identification.


  • All decorating plans (inside or outside) must be approved in advance by CAE.
  • Pins, tacks, or any piercing mechanism is prohibited from use in any meeting room, on tables, chairs, walls or ceiling as well as on equipment.
  • The use of confetti, rice, tinsel, glitter etc. is prohibited. If found, there is an automatic $200 cleaning fee.
  • Items may not be attached to light fixtures, sprinkler heads, woodwork, window treatments or any wall.
  • Open flames and burning of incense is prohibited, this includes candles. LED candles are allowed.
  • Doorways, hallways, corridors, staircases and fire exits cannot be blocked or obstructed at any time.
  • All electrical cords must be appropriately secured to the floor. CAE must approve methods of securing cords.
  • The use of any type of balloon is strictly prohibited.

Bar Service


Picasso Restaurant Group is UM-Flint’s exclusive caterer. Contact Picasso Restaurant Group directly for all of your catering needs.

Handicap Parking

Guests who need handicap parking while on campus must obtain a UM-Flint Handicap Parking Permit from the Department of Public Safety (DPS). The UM-Flint handicap parking permit, State of Michigan disability plate and/or handicap hang tag must be properly displayed in the vehicle. Parking at Northbank Center and Riverfront are excluded from this requirement.


  • In addition to the ramp rental fee, the UPAV Parking ramp rental will include a Department of Public Safety (DPS) charge of $32/hr.
  • Parking for NBC is available in the attached parking deck. Only limited parking is available during regular business hours at $5 per vehicle; limited free remote parking is available. The parking ramp, when available, may be rented for an additional fee.
  • Busses that unload and are remaining on campus during events can park in the WSW parking Lot R located on the corner of Saginaw Street and Robert T. Longway Blvd.


  • The university may require Department of Public Safety (DPS) officers to be present at an event. The number of DPS personnel will be determined by DPS. Additional fees may apply.
  • NBC safety fees will be charged for events held outside of regular business hours.

Minors On Campus

All programs and activities that involve minor children fall under the SPG 601.34. It is the university department and/or recognized student organizations responsibility to ensure that all requirements of this SPG are met and followed in order to use university facilities to hold the program and activities. Information on program registration, background checks and other resources can be found here.