Where to start?

Before you begin applying for jobs and internships, make sure you have:

1. A resume and cover letter that sells your skills. The Resume and Professional Writing Resources can help you develop these documents. 

2. Have your "sales pitch" ready for a recruiter.

For a small fee, Optimal Resume is another tool to help you develop both of these documents.

Job and Internship Listings


Handshake is our official job, co-op and internship posting network AND web-based resume referral system. When employers post jobs with UM-Flint, the postings go directly into Handshake. You can then search what's on the network, submit your resume and apply for positions. From the other end, employers searching Handshake for qualified candidates for their openings may contact you with potential offers. Click here to log in.


The Federal Work-study Program provides jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing you to earn money to help pay educational expenses. Federal Work-study allows you to take the first step in gaining valuable work experience that enhances your education before you leave school.  Awards are based on financial need and timing of application.

On-Campus Student Employment

All Flint Campus student and non-student temporary job opportunities are available at umjobs.org. Under the "Job Search" heading on this site, choose "Flint Campus" from the Work Location choices and "Temporary" from the Regular/Temporary choices to view the openings. Follow the prompts to apply. A profile is required for applying and uploading a resume is recommended.  Questions about umjobs.org should be directed to the Flint Campus Office of University Human Resources at (810) 762-3150 or via email at Flint-HRAA-Service@umflint.edu.

For more help with job hunting, please reach out to your Academic Advisor.