The Faculty-Led Study Abroad Program offers short-term study abroad programs to allow UMF students to experience the world. These global learning trips give students the opportunity to travel with their peers and faculty leaders and provide them with the academic experience of the cultures, customs, and histories of the destinations.
Faculty-Led Study Abroad Program
Benefits of UMF Faculty-Led Programs
- Significantly enhances one’s teaching, research, and service
- Provides global competence which can then be passed on to students
- Affords an opportunity to connect with students in a more meaningful way as opposed to large lecture-style courses
- Adds experiential learning objectives to your courses
- Provides a fully-supported method for one to travel and conduct academic work abroad
- Classes are taught by UMF faculty
- Students earn credit towards their major, minor and/or degree program
- Programs are pre-planned and structured
- Programs are sponsored by UMF departments/schools/colleges
- Students have the opportunity to build strong connections with UMF faculty members
Responsibilities of Faculty Directors
- Review the UMF Faculty-Led Handbook
- Complete and submit the Intent to Propose Form, and once approved submit the Program Proposal Form
- Arrange and manage program academics (syllabus, textbooks, international partners, guest lecturers, etc.)
- Actively promote the program to obtain target enrollment
- Review applications and select participants
- Attend faculty pre-departure orientation with other faculty and the Center for Global Engagement
- Facilitate a site-specific pre-departure orientation with students
- Provide an on-site orientation upon arrival in the host country
- Respond to student misconduct, behavioral/personal problems
- Remain on-call 24/7 for emergency response procedures
- Submit travel advance reconciliation within 10 days of return
Faculty-Led Program Guides & Forms
Faculty-Led Program Development Guide--Coming soon!
Intent to Propose Form--Coming soon!
Budget Planning Form--Coming soon!
Faculty-Led Program Marketing Worksheet--Coming soon!
Faculty-Led Program Expense Report--Coming soon!
Safety and Security Checklist--Coming soon!