A globally-minded place to call home
The Global Learning Community (GLC) is a UM-Flint home where you can prepare for life in a globalized world through cross-cultural interactions, integrated learning experiences centered upon community-engaged and globally-relevant topics. GLC students are passionate about understanding the world in all its diversity and complexity. Our community includes students from Michigan, the U.S., and around the world; creating a multinational, multicultural, and multilingual environment where you will belong and flourish. This community is supported by multiple departments on campus including Housing and Residential Life, UM-Flint Anthropology, and the Center for Global Engagement.
Enhance your education & prepare for your future
We provide an enhanced educational experience for students with a common interest in global affairs--whatever their major or career path. We do this by focusing on three priorities: transformational experiences in local and global communities, social impact & intercultural skills development, and preparation for global careers.
Advantages of Joining the Global Learning Community:
- Guaranteed up to $1,000 study abroad scholarship
- Small group mentoring and 1:1 attention from RA
- Specialized programming and activities geared towards global issues and connections
- Connecting with students with similar interests in global affairs
- Transformative local and global experiences
Eligibility for the GLC:
- Planning to live in a residence hall on campus
- Freshman, Sophomore, or Junior student to UM-Flint for Fall 2021, or
- Exchange student from UM-Flint international partner
- Must participate in the Engaged Scholar Program
- Complete the UM-Flint housing application
- Complete the Global Learning Community application
- Live on the GLC floor in Riverfront Residence Hall
- Enroll in Anthropology 100 for Fall 2021
- Enroll in Anthropology 295 for Winter 2022
If you have any questions about becoming a part of the Global Learning Community, please email Sarah Pattison at email@example.com.