Last Updated: Thursday, March 26th, 2020 at 03:39 PM.

March 26, 2020 • 3:33 p.m.

Dear Students:

We are now in our second week following the transition to online education. We wish to thank you for your flexibility and hope you are staying healthy, safe, and well as we enter our final month of studies for the Winter 2020 semester. We are writing this email to give you further information on the pass/fail policy adopted for this semester.

As outlined in the March 23 email, you will be given the option to convert some or all of your Winter 2020 courses to a Pass/Fail, or P/F grading mode (Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory or S/U at the graduate level). You can select the Pass/Fail option until May 8, 2020 at 5:00 PM (see Limitations section below). Because the P/F or S/U grading will not affect your GPA, it is important for you to understand that there may be implications to selecting this grading mode. We strongly encourage you to speak with an academic and/or faculty advisor before you make a final decision on switching any/all of your courses to this grading mode. Further, you can visit the Academic Affairs Covid-19 webpage here to view a Frequently Asked Questions database.


While a Pass (Satisfactory at graduate level) will count toward your degree, these grades will not be used in calculating your overall GPA, which could affect your eligibility for honors and/or the Dean's List. Choosing the P/F option presents an advantage if you are failing a course, but it’s a disadvantage if your letter grade would have been high. Furthermore, election of P/F may also affect future applications to graduate school. If you are in an accredited program, you may not be allowed to elect P/F for some of your courses (more about this below).

It is important for you to understand what P/F or S/U means:

  • For undergraduate students: 

    • If you choose pass/fail for a particular course, it means that any grade of C or higher will be recorded on your transcript as a P, meaning you passed the course.

    • Grades of C- or lower will be recorded as a F, and you will receive no credit for the course. Either way, a grade of P or F will not affect your grade point average.

  • For graduate students: 

    • if you choose S/U for a particular course, it means that any grade of B or higher will be entered as S, meaning you passed the course. 

    • Grades of B- or lower will be recorded as U, and you will receive no course credit. Either way, a grade of S or U will not affect your grade point average.

  • Pass or Satisfactory grades will not affect your ability to progress in your studies. They will count toward your major or toward general education as applicable. They will not count toward any lifetime limit of election of P/F grades. Any student may choose this option.

  • If you receive financial aid, even though P/F courses are not used to determine your overall GPA, the grade in these courses can affect your standing of satisfactory academic progress.

  • If you are repeating a course this semester and you switch that course to P/F, the letter grade you previously earned will be excluded from your GPA, but could have little or no impact on it. If you are on academic probation and have a question about how this might affect your academic standing, you are strongly encouraged to consult with your advisor.

  • If a course prerequisite requires a specific minimum grade, and that prerequisite course was switched to Pass/Fail, you will be allowed to register. However some academic departments may later check to make sure you have successfully completed the pre-requisites. If you earned a Fail, they may drop you from the course.

  • If you are a military veteran receiving benefits, please see the Student Veterans Resource Center before choosing the Pass/Fail option.

  • Due to program-level accreditations or for other curricular reasons, the university has developed a list of some courses that will be excluded from this policy. If you are enrolled in one of these courses, it will not show up on the Pass/Fail option form.

If you are uncertain if you should change a course to Pass/Fail, your academic advisor will be able to help you make that determination.

If you have any questions about financial aid, you should contact the Office of Financial Aid (email here).

In order to change the method of grading to Pass/Fail, please follow the directions below.


The process is now available and will remain so until May 8 at 5:00 p.m. EST.

You have until April 30 at 11:59 EST,  to resubmit the choices on the page if you change your mind. 

Between May 1 at midnight and May 8 at 5:00 p.m., only the opt-in choice will be available and cannot be reversed.

How to Change to Pass/Fail

In order to switch a course to P/F or S/U, you must first login when you visit the MY UM-Flint page, indicated in the following screen capture:

After login, the My UM-Flint page will welcome you with your name and have an embedded screen presenting you with the ability to request opt in to pass/fail grading mode for any or all of your courses, which you can use to submit a request to the Registrar, as shown in the next screen capture: 

To proceed with opting into P/F grading, click the blue button labeled “Request Opt-In”. This will present you with a list of your courses along with toggle switches to the right, as shown in this screen capture:

To select courses for P/F grading, toggle the switches to the right of your listed courses. The next screen capture shows two courses selected for P/F grading:

Once you have clicked the yellow “Submit Request” button, be sure to note the pop-up! A pop-up window will appear asking you if you are sure, and you must answer “yes” to confirm your request:


The form itself will present you with a list of your courses during the current semester. If any of your courses have been excluded from the Pass-Fail option, they will simply not show up on the form. Therefore, you may see a list that does not include all of your courses.

If you have questions, please reach out to your academic or faculty advisor.


Keith Moreland and Karen Arnould