Bar service for events is arranged by contacting Event and Building Services (EBS). All alcohol must be dispensed by EBS staff that have been trained and certified in alcohol management. A bar service contract will be required. All bar service provided by the University has a minimum service charge of $250.
Bar Service Policy
- The University Center, University Pavilion, and the Northbank Center do not have a liquor license (commonly referred to as a ‘non-licensed’ facility). Customers using these venues are required to purchase and bring in all alcohol for their event prior to a pre-arranged time and then remove all alcohol from the premises at the conclusion of the event.
- Alcohol may be dispensed without charge to guests and only at events that are designated as ‘by invitation only.’
- All shots of liquor must be combined with ice and a drink mixer; straight shots are not permitted nor are ‘shots on ice’ permitted. The bar serves only a measured, one-ounce shot per drink. Drinks are supplied to guests by the cup; no pitchers. Customers are permitted two serving per visit to the bar. Shots of liquor are not permitted as part of a wedding reception ‘dollar dance.’ Bar service does not include blended, ice cream, or milk/cream drinks.
- Signature drinks must be approved by EBS in advance of the event.
- Contract signer is required to purchase ‘host liability’ insurance in the amount of $1 million naming ‘The Regents of the University of Michigan’ as additional insured, and is due 14 days prior to the event.
- Alcohol service is for a minimum of 2 hours and maximum 4.5 hours. Bar service must conclude 45 minutes before the scheduled event ending time.
- The University of Michigan-Flint abides by all State of Michigan liquor laws including:
- An individual must be 21 years of age or older to consume alcohol.
- Upon request for identification, if the guest is not able to produce valid picture identification, by law, alcohol service cannot be provided.
- Alcohol service will cease to anyone who appears to be visibly intoxicated. Only trained EBS staff will determine if a guest appears to be intoxicated. The staff decision to cease alcohol service to anyone is final.
- Bringing alcohol into the facility during the event is prohibited by law and will be confiscated and will not be returned to the guest.
Scheduling a Bar Service
To schedule a Bar Service for an upcoming event, please contact Event and Building Services at 810-762-3436.