An economics degree can give you the skills and abilities that many employers look highly upon including analytical abilities, thinking through a problem and communicating an effective solution, and the flexibility to change with the working environment. A degree in economics can lead to careers in law, government, nonprofit agencies, and business. Remember to start your job search early, and internships are always helpful. UM-Flint's Career Development Center can help you with many aspects of your job search.
The following is a sample of the career employment opportunities that someone with a degree in economics might consider. Also check out the American Economic Association's listing of careers in economics.
- Commodities / Stock Broker
- Economic Forecaster
- Financial Analyst
- Consultant (Management/Litigation)
- Labor Trend Forecaster
- Management trainee
- Marketing Analyst/Sales
- Public Relations/Media Planner
- Benefits Analyst
- Underwriting Trainee
- Foreign Trade Analyst/Officer
- Legislator's Assistant/Lobbyist
- Regional/Urban Planner
- Revenue Officer
- Technical Writer
- Higher Education Administration/Research
Some Post-Graduate Degrees Our Students Have Pursued
- Masters in Business Administration
- Masters in Public Administration
- Masters and Ph.D. in Economics
- Law School
- A wide variety of post-graduate degree opportunities are available to economics students!