Promise Scholars Program
For Students Who Show the Promise of Success
The Promise Scholar Program makes a University of Michigan degree accessible for a range of high school students. Promise Scholars enter UM-Flint as part of a Learning Community designed to be an exciting and supportive environment dedicated to academic success, personal development, and community engagement to college. Students have the opportunity to earn up to 6 free college credits as a part of the program.
The UM-Flint Promise Scholar Program seeks to retain and graduate competent and engaged citizens. Our curriculum is designed to help motivated students with diverse academic strengths and interests achieve their goals and be successful in all aspects of their lives at UM-Flint.
Benefits of Being a Promise Scholar
- Receive a $2,000 stipend for each of your first four semesters.
- Receive a housing scholarship for your first two years in the program, which will allow you to live on campus and be a part of a special living learning experience.
- Earn 6 free college credits in the Summer Bridge Program.
- Get priority access to classes. You will receive priority when registering for your Promise Scholar Learning Community classes. You will take classes at convenient times from professors who are aware of the unique needs of new college students and who are dedicated to helping you make the successful transition to college.
- Build relationships. You will develop close and beneficial relationships with fellow Promise Scholars by sharing classes, activities, and community involvement.
- Connect with faculty. You will benefit from unique opportunities to interact with, learn from, and even perform research alongside dedicated faculty members.
- Gain expert guidance. You will enjoy access to a dedicated team of advisors, mentors, and coaches, who can answer questions, provide advice, set up study groups, and ensure you have the resources you need to succeed.
- Participate in hands-on learning. You will have the opportunity to take advantage of shared in-class and out-of-classroom experiences with fellow Promise Scholars to develop your knowledge, hone your skills, and become a leader.
Students selected following their Promise Scholar Interview must complete the following requirements to maintain their student status:
- Commit and sign the Promise Scholar Partnership Agreement. This agreement outlines all of the requirements for the program and will be given to students who are selected following their interviews.
- Attend Freshmen Orientation. During orientation, your Academic Advisor will consult with you regarding your coursework for your first two semesters.
- Participate in the Promise Scholar Summer Bridge Program. The Bridge component focuses on academic development, college success strategies, developing critical thinking skills and community building which is necessary for a successful transition to and persistence through the university. Students can earn 6 credits through the Bridge program.
- Enroll in a full-time course load for two consecutive semesters (with the assistance of your Academic Advisor). Included in this coursework will be Promise Scholar Learning Community courses for each of the Fall and Winter semesters, as well as the English courses that you placed into based on your placement exam scores. These courses will meet General Education requirements.
- Engage in Promise Scholar Program Activities/Requirements over a 4-year period, which includes regularly meeting with your academic advisor, attending academic success workshops, and engaging with the campus community and beyond.
- Complete courses with a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 or above over 4 years.
How to Apply
- Submit an application to the University of Michigan-Flint
- Meet the following Promise Scholar Program admission requirements:
- 2.3-2.9 High School GPA (cumulative)*
- 810-920 SAT score or 15-17 ACT score
- Interview for the program
- Acceptance to UM-Flint Promise Scholar Program
- Sign up for the third week of May in 2021 Student Orientation and register for Fall 2021 classes
- Participate in the residential Summer Bridge Program, which runs from June through August 2021, and earn 6 college credits at no cost
*Note: Students with at least a 2.0 GPA may be considered for admission to the program on a case by case basis as determined by the program manager.
UM-Flint’s Promise Scholar Program offers an opportunity for applicants to meet with faculty and staff for a formal conversation that provides applicants with the opportunity to learn more about the Promise Scholar Program and to allow us to learn more about them. Interviewers enjoy meeting applicants and sharing their own UM-Flint experience with students while informing them of the benefits of the Promise Scholar Program.
All interview sessions are on a first-come, first-served basis. Interview slots are filling up fast! We highly encourage you to RSVP for the Pre-Enrollment Interview!
To schedule an interview, please submit an Interview Form.