If you are borrowing loans for the first time, there are some steps you must complete to ensure your aid will pay to your account. Follow the steps listed below and complete those that apply to you.
Students borrowing through the Federal Direct Loan Program must complete a Direct Loan Electronic Master Promissory Note (EMPN) in order to receive their Direct Loan funds. The EMPN authorizes UM-Flint to credit Direct Loan funds to your student account. You will only need to complete this requirement once during your attendance at UM-Flint.
After completing the EMPN, the Office of Financial Aid will receive electronic confirmation of this completion and you will immediately receive a confirmation number so that you know the federal government has received and accepted the EMPN.
Where do I go?
Visit studentaid.gov to complete the EMPN.
What do I need?
You will need your FSA ID, your SSN, your permanent address and phone number, and two references with complete names, addresses, and phone number. The process takes about 10-15 minutes.
Steps to follow
- Visit studentaid.gov
- Click "Log in"
- Log in with your information
- Click “COMPLETE MPN”
- MPN for Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loans click “START” (First-time undergraduate students) OR
- PLUS MPN for Graduate/Professional Students click “START”
- Enter the required information
- Select “UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN-FLINT” as your school
- Review, Sign & Submit
- Print or save a copy of your Master Promissory Note for your records (optional)
If you have consolidated your loans or if it has been more than 10 years since you signed your original EMPN, you will need to complete another EMPN.