When a student accepts the offer of financial aid specified on your award notice, that student agrees to accept and fulfill the following responsibilities, including the terms and conditions set by the federal regulations for financial aid.

Receipt of Additional Assistance

  • You cannot receive aid in excess of your assigned budget per institutional policies and federal regulations.
  • You need to notify the Office of Financial Aid in writing of any additional assistance (such as book vouchers, MRS, stipends, outside scholarships, etc.) that you receive.
  • Financial Aid awards will be reviewed in cases of additional assistance to evaluate if adjustments to other aid must be made. Should any change be necessary, from the awards you accepted, you will be notified at the earliest possible date.
  • Students enrolled at more than one institution CANNOT receive Pell Grant from both institutions.

Use of Funds

  • You may use funds listed on t award notice only for educationally related expenses incurred at the University of Michigan–Flint for the academic year/semester for which the aid was awarded.
  • Financial aid funds are directly applied to tuition, fees, housing, and other charges that appear on a student’s account.  Any additional funds (indicated by a negative balance on SIS) will be released to students.
  • Some scholarships, such as the Michigan Competitive Scholarship and the Detroit Compact Scholarship, may be used for tuition only.

Students Selected for Verification

  • Federal regulations governing financial aid programs require some students to be audited each year to verify information on the FAFSA. Additional forms are requested to complete the verification process.
  • Worksheets for Dependent and Independent students are available thru the student requirements section on SIS.
  • NO AID is disbursed until all documents are received, reviewed, and satisfied.
  • Your Award Notification will state that it is Estimated.
  • Once verification is complete aid will be disbursed; if the EFC changes as a result of verification, there may be a delay in certain types of aid from disbursing.  Students will be notified of any changes to their award amounts.
  • For additional information regarding verification please see the verification web site.

Previously Received Title IV Aid

You must not be in default of any federal educational loans, or owe any repayment on federal grants received at post-secondary institutions.

Enrollment Requirements

  • Enrollment Level
    • Undergraduate Students are assumed to enroll full-time (12 or more credits)
    • Graduate Students are assumed to enroll part-time (4-7 credits)
    • The financial aid budget is based on the enrollment level.  If enrollment plans differ from the assumed amount students should submit a revision request form to the Office of Financial Aid. Updating your enrollment status on the FAFSA does not trigger a revision.
    • Most types of aid require at least half-time enrollment.  See the table below to review the enrollment status and what qualifies as half-time enrollment.


  • Scholarships
    • Some scholarships require full-time enrollment before disbursement.
    • Refer to Scholarship Congratulatory Letter to review enrollment requirements and/or thank you letter requirements.
  • Wait-list and Auditing
    • Courses for which you are wait-listed or classes that you are auditing do not count when determining your level of enrollment.
    • Please note that less than full-time enrollment will result in reduced aid eligibility and may affect your future aid eligibility, as well as your satisfactory academic progress.
  • Reducing enrollment levels
    • The Office of Financial Aid monitors enrollment levels (number of credit hours taken) each term. If you drop courses and fall below the minimum credit hour requirements you may be required to repay all or part of the aid you received. If you consider dropping a class, it is important to discuss your situation fully with a financial aid officer prior to doing so.
    • Adjustments to financial aid are not made until after the drop/add date for each term.
  • Withdrawal from the University
    • If you disenroll (drop all courses in a semester) or are asked to withdraw from the University, you must inform the Office of Financial Aid immediately.
    • If you received a federal student loan, you will be sent information on completing loan repayment “exit” counseling.
    • Depending upon when you withdraw, you may be required to repay all or part of the aid you received.
  • Satisfactory academic progress
    • To remain eligible for financial aid, students must make satisfactory progress toward completion of degree requirements.
  • Undergraduates with one or more bachelor’s degree(s)
    • Undergraduates who have already received a bachelor’s degree, who are returning for a 2nd bachelor’s degree, or Teacher Certification will only be eligible for loans while pursuing additional majors or bachelor’s degree(s). This includes students in a double major or dual degree programs who have already met the requirements for one of their majors or degrees and are continuing their education toward the additional major or degree.