Guest at Another University

There are programs that allow current UM-Flint graduate students to be a guest student at another university. Please choose the section that applies to you.

Michigan Intercollegiate Graduate Study (MIGS)

The University of Michigan participates in the Michigan Intercollegiate Graduate Study (MIGS) program. The MIGS Program creates exchange possibilities for graduate students currently enrolled in Michigan universities. Students in good standing at one institution may take advantage of course and research opportunities offered at another institution, provided that such opportunities are not available on the home campus. Students in master’s or specialist degree programs may enroll for six hours at a host institution while doctoral students may enroll for up to nine hours. To apply for permission to take courses in another graduate school at another participating university in the State of Michigan, complete the MIGS Application. Inquiries regarding appropriate contacts and administrative approvals should be addressed to the Office of Graduate Programs, 251 Thompson Library, Flint, MI 48502, (810) 762-3171,

Rackham Students taking courses in Ann Arbor or Dearborn

UM-Flint Rackham graduate students (students in the Master of Arts in Arts Administration [MA], Master of Arts in Liberal Studies [MA] or Master of Public Administration [MPA] programs) may take courses offered at another U-M campus subject to the approval of their own department and the availability of space in the courses desired. The following procedures should be observed:

  • Be sure that the course you want is offered for Rackham graduate credit. Approved courses are listed in Rackham's Bulletin: Program Information and Course Offerings. If you are uncertain whether or not a course is approved for Rackham credit, check with the department offering the course. Although you may elect non-Rackham courses, you may not apply such courses toward your degree program.
  • Obtain written permission from your graduate program chair, specifying the department, course number, section number, and credit hours for the course.
  • Obtain a signed override or written permission from the course instructor.
  • UM-Flint students electing a course at Ann Arbor must complete an Ann Arbor Rackham Guest Application form available online.
  • UM-Flint students electing a course at Dearborn must complete a Dearborn Rackham Guest Application form available online.
  • For future instructions, contact the appropriate graduate studies office: the Ann Arbor Rackham Admissions Office, 0120 Rackham Building, 915 E. Washington St., Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-1070, (734) 764-8129, e-mail:; or the Dearborn Graduate Studies Office, 1080 Administration Building, (313) 593-1494.

Courses taken at other colleges or universities

Students may transfer a limited number of courses taken at other colleges or universities (but not as a part of the Rackham Guest or MIGS programs) to a graduate degree program at the University of Michigan-Flint in conformance with the transfer of credit policy for their program.