Applying for Lifelong Learning Admission & Guest Admission

Complete the Application for Graduate Lifelong Learning or Guest Admission and submit it together with the following supporting documents to the University of Michigan-Flint, Office of Graduate Programs, 303 E. Kearsley St., Flint, MI  48502-1950:

  • A transcript or diploma with bachelor’s or master’s degree posted.
  • Applicants whose native language is not English (this includes U.S. citizens and permanent residents whose native language is not English) must demonstrate English proficiency. Visit the English Proficiency page for more information.
  • Applicants who are in their final semester of their undergraduate studies who wish to elect a graduate course for the following semester as a graduate Lifelong Learning student must submit a memo from their academic advisor stating when all degree requirements for their baccalaureate degree will be completed as well as a signed Statement of Understanding.

Once admitted to the university, you must contact the academic department or program that offers the course to get a departmental override.  Once the override is issued, you may register for the course(s).

Deadline to Apply

While most departments do not have a deadline to apply to take a graduate course under Lifelong Learning status, it is highly recommended that you apply with sufficient time to get instructor permission, submit any required supporting documents, register for the course(s), and take care of any university business (ID card, parking pass, tuition payments, etc.) associated with your course(s).


Deadline for School of Management Courses

Lifelong Learning students wishing to take courses beginning with the prefix MGT or ACC must apply by the following deadlines:

  • Fall:  August 15
  • Winter:  November 15
  • Spring:  February 15
  • Summer:  May 15

The purpose of the deadlines is so that you may attend new student orientation, which includes information important to your success in MGT classes.


Physical Therapy Bridge to U.S. Credentialing Program

Students who have a physical therapy degree who wish to fulfill the educational requirements to obtain PT licensure in the United States and wish to take graduate courses without being formally admitted to a University of Michigan-Flint degree or certificate program are considered Lifelong Learning students and should fill out an Application for Physical Therapy Bridge to U.S. Credentialing Program (not the regular Lifelong Learning/Guest application that is linked above). Also required:

  • One of the following:  A transcript with physical therapy degree posted (If the degree is not posted on the transcript, a copy of the certificate of graduation or diploma indicating conferral of the degree and the date it was conferred is also required.) OR a copy of your Foreign Credentialing Commission on Physical Therapy (FCCPT) Report of Evaluation of Education Credentials
  • Proof of English proficiency if your native language is not English

The Physical Therapy Department will be provided with your application materials and make a decision on your admission.