Graduate Readmission

Students previously enrolled in a University of Michigan‐Flint graduate program who have been absent from the program for over one year and seek to re‐enroll in the same program must apply for readmission.

Example of eligible applicant: In Fall of 2015, an individual was admitted to and enrolled in the UM‐Flint MBA program. The student attended the program in Fall 2015 and Winter 2016. The student left the program at the end of Winter 2016 before receiving the MBA degree and seeks to return and complete the MBA degree beginning in Fall 2018. This individual is eligible to submit the Application for Graduate Readmission for the Fall 2018 academic term.

Who is considered an exception? (Readmission is not required)

  • Students admitted to a program who stopped attending and wish to enroll in a future term within one year of last enrollment; these students may simply register for classes.
  • Students admitted to a program who never attended and wish to enroll in a future term within one year of their first term of application to the program; these students may simply defer their admission by contacting the Office of Graduate Programs. (Beyond one year, a student must reapply with a regular Application for Graduate Admission and all supporting documents.)
  • Graduate students previously enrolled in a UM-Flint graduate program who seek to enroll in a new graduate program should submit an Application for Dual Degree or Change of Program.

Steps in Readmission Process

Submit application materials to the Office of Graduate Programs, University of Michigan-Flint, 303 E. Kearsley St., Flint, MI 48502-1950:

  • Apply Online or submit a paper Application for Graduate Readmission [can be faxed to (810) 766-6789]
  • Academic transcripts of coursework taken at another institution since your last enrollment at UM-Flint
  • For Rackham programs, submit a Petition for Modification or Waiver of Regulation (visit our Forms page) if the completion of your degree or certificate is expected to exceed the time limit for your program. (Time limit for master's degrees from Rackham is five years from the term of first admission.) If previously enrolled in a non-Rackham program and completion of your degree or certificate is expected to exceed the time limit, check with your program of study on the petitioning process.

The Office of Graduate Programs will send application and associated documents to the program of study for review. The program of study will inform the applicant of decision to admit or deny.

International Students: The International Center will request financial certification if the applicant is readmitted. International students attending another institution in the U.S. must provide a copy of the most current I-20 or DS-2019, the I-94 card, the U.S. visa, and the passport.